NCIS

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Dune_

NCIS

Post by Dune_ »

This is with: MakeMKV v1.10.5 win(x64-release) registered version.

Recently bought seasons 11, 12 & 13 to add to my collection. I'm having difficulties copying them. I get either "failed to open disc" or fails on copying episodes. It will work on 1 or 2 episodes for a disc, then fail on the rest, and then refuse to open the disc again. I restart the MakeMKV program, over and over, because once if fails to open a disc, it refuses to try again. If while reading a disc and MakeMKV copies an episode or two, it will no longer find the external drive I use. It becomes disconnected, and I hear beeps from Windows 10 64 Pro, that it is now re-finding the device. It takes restarting MakeMKV as well.

Just because all of the above happens, it isn't the end of the story.

I've fought through seasons 11 and 12, discovering while copying 12, that if I unchecked Portuguese subtitles, individual episodes that wouldn't copy before, now copy just fine. I was able to go back into seasons 11 and discs that wouldn't copy any of their episodes, now I got all of them by unchecking that language option.

Also, I find if a disc is troublesome, is to work in reverse on the list (from 4 to 1), going one episode at a time, unchecking the problematic Portuguese subtitles.

Today had time, and started in on season 13. I've managed to copy the first three discs without issues, but disc 4 I got the first two episodes, and now the disc fails to open at all. I'll move onto the other discs, and see if I can come back and hope it reads it.

Edit: I also get this error when the tracks are being read on the disc: Region setting of drive TSSTcorp:BDDVDW SE-506CB does not match the region of currently inserted disc, trying to work around...
Woodstock

Re: NCIS

Post by Woodstock »

It would help to have the logs (link for how to get them in my signature)...

But, what do you have set for your minimum title length? If all the episodes are shorter than that, you'll get "failed to open disk".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Dune_

Re: NCIS

Post by Dune_ »

Updated to 1.10.6, a newer more powerful computer & connecting my drive to a powered hub,

I managed to get all the rest of Season 13 of NCIS. I had a lot of trouble with disc 4, got 2 episodes from it, and none of disc 6. I couldn't get disc 6 to work at all.

Reading some place, that external drives may be under powered (mine doesn't have a separate power source than the USB 2.0 connection), I connected the drive to a powered hub. It had been plugged into the monitor, since it was easier to access the drive that way. I've been ripping new movie sets, and I wanted to give NCIS a try again.

Connected to the powered hub, and still unchecking Portuguese subtitles (upon the more powerful computer and newer version of MakeMKV), I had no trouble copy the remaining episodes from disc 4 and all of disc 6. Hooray.

I'm not 100% sure what was the fix, but I hope it helps someone else.