Haven't been able to burn 1 DVD

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
dsulvett

Haven't been able to burn 1 DVD

Post by dsulvett »

Hi everyone. I am getting a lot of errors and have not been able to burn one DVD yet. When burning a regular DVD I get this error

BTW, the Bluray burner i am using is an LG USB Blu-Ray writer. This movie is not a BluRay however, Blu Rays will not burn either Thank you!

'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID FIELD IN CDB' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_06_1.VOB' at offset '0'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID FIELD IN CDB' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_06_1.VOB' at offset '0'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID FIELD IN CDB' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_06_1.VOB' at offset '0'
Failed to save title 4 to file D:/Video/Step_Brothers/Step_Brothers_t04.mkv
Woodstock

Re: Haven't been able to burn 1 DVD

Post by Woodstock »

"Burn" or "rip"? MakeMKV doesn't burn disks.

The error you are getting is rather unusual. It would be nice to see the initial portion of the log, to confirm versions and whether or not MakeMKV was able to talk to the drive initially.

One possibility is that you are not running MakeMKV as an administrator, which gives it more direct access to the hardware; sometimes the operating system itself gets in the way, when you run as a "normal user".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dsulvett

Post by dsulvett »

Thank you much for your reply. RIP, not burn. Sorry!

OK, so i just ran MAKEMKV as adminsitrator, same error

Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID FIELD IN CDB' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB' at offset '0'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID FIELD IN CDB' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB' at offset '0'

when i go to actually RIP. it immediately has a pop up that says "Copy Complete Zero titles saved 1 failed" how can i get you more data that you need to troubleshoot properly?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The error you're getting is, as I said, unusual - it's reporting that the drive did not like the commands sent to it by MakeMKV. It can happen with either a DVD or BD drive, but I have not found many examples of it here on the forum.

I'd suggest following the instructions in the FAQ in my signature, and sending the information to support@makemkv.com for Mike to examine. This is assuming that you can read the disk in Explorer or Finder (you still haven't said what operating system) to pull files from it.

However, before all of that - have you tried unplugging the drive, then plugging it back in? Sometimes, the operating system and the hardware lose the ability to talk to each other, and the problem will persist until the hardware is reset. If there is communications issues between the operating system and the USB port, you can get errors like this. I've had times when the only way to clear the issue was to do a power-off cycling of the computer, because a "reboot" doesn't reset the hardware.
dsulvett

Post by dsulvett »

Hi - I did unplug it, reboot etc... I am now on my 2nd drive. Anyhow, i'll do what is needed to get this to work.
dsulvett

Post by dsulvett »

Even with a brand new drive, it is getting the same error. UGH!

Windows 10 BTW
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If you click on the drive (with a disk in it) in Windows Explorer, are you able to navigate the directories, or does Explorer encounter errors, too?
dsulvett

Post by dsulvett »

Yes, I can see files in Windows Explorer. I just found out, this error i am getting only applies to ripping blu rays (i've tried multiple). I can rip regular dvd's no issues at all. Any other thoughts on that?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Assuming you're using version 1.10.7 of MakeMKV (the latest as of this writing), and you have not encountered a Bluray disk with AACS version 64 (have not heard of any of those yet), I am at a loss as to what could be going on.

The errors in your original message applied to DVDs (BDs do not have VIDEO_TS directories or VOB files), which you say are now fine.

Maybe someone else has seen a fix for the "INVALID FIELD IN CDB" errors.