DVD Rip stuttering if played on TV from USB Flash Drive

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
TeslaX

DVD Rip stuttering if played on TV from USB Flash Drive

Post by TeslaX »

I don't have a DVD player and used MakeMKV to rip some live concerts and copied ripped mkv's on my flash drive. MakeMKV rips played on my computer just fine, but on my TV (Which is played these rips from USB flash drive) they played with stutters, some dashes. I downloaded some mkv concerts from the internet and they played on my tv just fine. I don't have a single idea where is my problem coming from. Sorry for my maybe bad english, it's not my native language.
Woodstock

Re: DVD Rip stuttering if played on TV from USB Flash Drive

Post by Woodstock »

Probably the TV cannot read from the USB fast enough for "full bit rate". Downloaded videos are quite likely to have been compressed for lower bit rates, which is why they don't have an issue.

You can compress video yourself, too - visit handbrake.fr for one of several open-source video compression programs.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
TeslaX

Post by TeslaX »

Woodstock wrote:Probably the TV cannot read from the USB fast enough for "full bit rate". Downloaded videos are quite likely to have been compressed for lower bit rates, which is why they don't have an issue.

You can compress video yourself, too - visit handbrake.fr for one of several open-source video compression programs.
I played even BDRips with high bitrates which is higher than my DVD rips. I try to compress them and report my results.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

There might also be an issue with interlacing - BD rips are (rarely) interlaced, while DVD rips are almost certainly interlaced. DVDs are also often "telecined" to take a 24 frame per second (nominal) video and make it 30fps.

Between the two, it can really screw up "smooth playback" if the TV's filters aren't working correctly.

Playing directly in a DVD player, the player is responsible for taking care of de-interlace and dealing with the telecine.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
preserve

Post by preserve »

It could be audio bitrate or format as well, not just video bitrate.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00