RCP Copy Protection Error with MakeMKV

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Guitar1969

RCP Copy Protection Error with MakeMKV

Post by Guitar1969 »

I am noob, but have ripped a few DVDs with my old DVD reader drive with MakeMKV.

I just got a new Blu-Ray Drive - LG CH10LS20K, and was trying to rip my first disk with it(Just a regular DVD), and MakeMKV failed, saying it couldn't remove the RCP Protection on the disk - It then tried to direct me to a site to download a new firmware, but my model(No Blu-Ray models) was not listed. I understand its a region code error, but not sure why I am getting it, and what I can do to overcome it. The disk I was trying to rip is the correct region(Sherlock Holmes) and like I said, I can play the DVD disk fine. I could very well have something set up wrong, but not sure what. The BD Drive plays DVDs fine, just can't read for a rip for MakeMKV

If you could give me some advice I would be thankful.

mh
setarip_old

Re: RCP Copy Protection Error with MakeMKV

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

Your drive probably requires you to initially set its region...

Guitar1969

Post by Guitar1969 »

It's not the region on the drive - that is set correctly to Region 1(US).

I tried to run it again - It looked like it was working all the way through but then at the end it said it failed. Here's a screenshot of the processing(with the failure) - Does theis help determine the problem. I then ran it on DVDFab and it ripped it, but at the end said there was an error with a header, but still generated the ripped MKV which still plays. Could this mean it is just a defective disk, causing it not to be ripped.

Again, it plays fine of the DVD itself.

Any thoughts on what it could be?

Thanks for all your help

[img]
Screenshot
Screenshot
makemkv.PNG (94.65 KiB) Viewed 19634 times
[/img]
Last edited by Guitar1969 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Here's a screenshot of the processing(with the failure)
There is no screenshot attached...

Guitar1969

Post by Guitar1969 »

Sorry - I edited it above
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Why did you cvhange the minimum titlelength from 120 seconds to 6780 seconds?

Change it to 120 seconds or lower (I keep mine at 2 seconds, the lowest possible).

Guitar1969

Post by Guitar1969 »

setarip_old wrote:Why did you cvhange the minimum titlelength from 120 seconds to 6780 seconds?

Change it to 120 seconds or lower (I keep mine at 2 seconds, the lowest possible).

I didn't change anything in MakeMKV- It automatically came up with those settings on its own.

I guess I'll just chalk it up to a problem disk at this poiint- Just curious why
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

I guess I'll just chalk it up to a problem disk at this poiint- Just curious why

Please humor me - and change the minimum title length to 120 seconds, close and then restart MakeMKV and try the disc again...

Guitar1969

Post by Guitar1969 »

I changed minimum length to 120, and it didn't solve the problem - Just gave me more titles as options that I needed to deselect, as I only want the main movie. I tried another regular DVD (Star Wars III) and it failed as well(I then ripped it with DVDFab). Please note, I am having no problems with Blu-ray disks, just regular DVDs. I know BD disks are now the norm, but I have older DVDs I was hoping to rip as well to my HTPC, but no joy.

One question in MakeMKV, under copy protection, I have set to "Auto" - should it be set to one of the other options or is "Auto" the best choice.

Not sure what else to do.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Please enable "log debug messages" per instructions at http://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/8/catid/6 and see if any messages pop up.