www.makemkv.com

MakeMKV support forum
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:59 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 2:26 pm
Posts: 2
I posted about this earlier, probably in the wrong place. Now I've got a bit more information, so here goes:

MakeMKV: 1.12.2 for Windows.

DVD: King Crimson's "Beat" KCSP9. It's a DVD-A, but the content I'm trying to extract is in VIDEO_TS. The disc, according to both MakeMKV and DVD Decrypter, has no encryption or protection whatsoever:
Attachment:
NoEncryption.jpg
NoEncryption.jpg [ 11.78 KiB | Viewed 3002 times ]


My goal is to extract the DTS stream, wrap it in FLAC and play it on a Logitech Squeezebox, something I've done many times with other discs with no issues.

The problem: When I open the disc in MakeMKV and look at the title I care about, the chapters look perfect:
Attachment:
BeatChapters.jpg
BeatChapters.jpg [ 26.83 KiB | Viewed 3002 times ]


However the MKV that gets created doesn't play in VLC. It opens, just sits there for a while, then suddenly scans to the end without ever actually playing. The timeline in VLC reports a reasonable time, it just doesn't play.

If I open the MKV in AudioMuxer in order to demux the audio content and split into individual song files, the chapters that initially looked good in MakeMKV become:
Code:
CHAPTER01=00:00:00.000
CHAPTER01NAME=Chapter 01
CHAPTER02=00:00:00.033
CHAPTER02NAME=Chapter 02
CHAPTER03=00:00:00.066
CHAPTER03NAME=Chapter 03
CHAPTER04=00:00:00.100
CHAPTER04NAME=Chapter 04
CHAPTER05=00:00:00.133
CHAPTER05NAME=Chapter 05
CHAPTER06=00:00:00.166
CHAPTER06NAME=Chapter 06
CHAPTER07=00:00:00.200
CHAPTER07NAME=Chapter 07
CHAPTER08=00:00:00.233
CHAPTER08NAME=Chapter 08
CHAPTER09=00:00:00.266
CHAPTER09NAME=Chapter 09


AudioMuxer winds up creating nine output files, the first eight of which are very small and silent, while the final one contains all the audio. Although VLC will not play the MKV at all, the audio as extracted by AudioMuxer from that same MKV file is good.

If I bypass MakeMKV and open the disc directly in AudioMuxer (remember, the disc is not encrypted), I get the expected results. The chapters are reasonable:
Code:
CHAPTER01=00:00:00.000
CHAPTER01NAME=
CHAPTER02=00:04:24.264
CHAPTER02NAME=
CHAPTER03=00:08:16.496
CHAPTER03NAME=
CHAPTER04=00:11:50.710
CHAPTER04NAME=
CHAPTER05=00:16:16.976
CHAPTER05NAME=
CHAPTER06=00:21:07.266
CHAPTER06NAME=
CHAPTER07=00:24:30.469
CHAPTER07NAME=
CHAPTER08=00:28:43.722
CHAPTER08NAME=
CHAPTER09=00:40:54.953
CHAPTER09NAME=


And the output files are exactly what I'd expect, one file per song, properly split.

I can't figure out why MakeMKV sees the proper chapters when it opens the disc, but they don't carry over properly when creating the MKV. Or at the very least, VLC and AudioMuxer do not see them correctly.

I've seen this behavior with other discs, and while the problem discs aren't all DVD-A (that is, many do not have anything in AUDIO_TS), I think they may all be discs where the content is largely musical and the "video" is really just still images or slideshows. It's possible that I only think that's relevant because most of why I try to do involves that type of disc.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group