If I encounter a few MEDIUM read errors, but the rip finishes, does that mean the file is complete?

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
AchillesPDX

If I encounter a few MEDIUM read errors, but the rip finishes, does that mean the file is complete?

Post by AchillesPDX »

Pretty much the title. I have a DVD that was giving me issues and would fail the rip, I did a resurfacing and cleaning of it and it still threw the following errors, but the rip finished and gave me an MKV. Does this mean that MakeMKV was able to retry the problem areas enough that it got all the data?

Thanks!

Code: Select all

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_1.VOB' at offset '1593389056'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_1.VOB' at offset '1593761792'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '1593761792'
Encountered 12 errors of type 'Read Error' - see http://www.makemkv.com/errors/dvdread/
Woodstock

Re: If I encounter a few MEDIUM read errors, but the rip finishes, does that mean the file is complete?

Post by Woodstock »

If the errors were permanent, MakeMKV would stop trying to read the file. However, if it eventually read the disk, it should be complete.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
AchillesPDX

Re: If I encounter a few MEDIUM read errors, but the rip finishes, does that mean the file is complete?

Post by AchillesPDX »

Woodstock wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:10 am
If the errors were permanent, MakeMKV would stop trying to read the file. However, if it eventually read the disk, it should be complete.
Fantastic. That's what I figured, but wanted to double-check before I move on to the next disc. Thanks!