Impossible to convert to Matroska closed-caption subtitles!

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Sidrack

Impossible to convert to Matroska closed-caption subtitles!

Post by Sidrack »

Software used: MAKEMKV

The title: STARGATE SG-1, SEASON 3, REGION 1/NTSC

Here's my issue: at first I thought this title didn't have any subtitles since MakeMKV reported none as you can see.

However, after careful analysis, using Media Player Classic Home Cinema, Arcsoft Total MediaTheatre, MPlayer and VLC Player (MP/VLC were capable of displaying such contents), I discovered these are not regular subtitles, but CLOSED-CAPTION SUBTITLES.

And it's just one stream, in english.

But my point is: MakeMKV can't decrypt to Matroska such content. It can't even recognize.

Any ideas to fix this problem? I need the decrypted DVDs stored in my HDD to be converted to Matroska in lossless compression.

Sidrack

Re: Impossible to convert to Matroska closed-caption subtitl

Post by Sidrack »

For the record, I tried with another software - DVDFab - and this was the report while opening the decrypted DVD folder:
Info for folder [D:\Video\Stargate SG1 Season 1-3\Stargate SG 1 Season 3\DISCO 1\VIDEO_TS\] ( )

Disc type: DVD-Video
Video standard: NTSC

CSS (Content Scramble System) protection is not found.
RC (Region Code) protection is not found.
RCE (Region Code Enhancement) protection is not found.
APS (Analog Protection System) protection is not found.
UOPs (User Operation Prohibitions) protection is removed!

Invalid PTTs protection is not found.
Invalid PGCIs protection is not found.
Invalid PGCs protection is not found.
Invalid TMAPs protection is not found.
Invalid CELLs protection is removed!
Invalid VOBUs protection is removed!
Fake vts protection is not found!
Bad sector protection is not found!
Structure protection (ARccOS, RipGuard, etc.) is not found.

PathPlayer is enabled!
Unplayable cell is not found.

As you can see, DVDFab is detecting something in terms of subtitles.

OK, I saved the same decrypted DVD in another location (let's call this new folder "BALAUSKA") from my Hard Drive. Then I instructed MakeMKV to open this DVDFab job.

The result:

So the whole thing was fixed, right?

Wrong.

MPlayer/VLC Player are, once again, telling me the Matroska file has no subtitles. MakeMKV is not recognizing anything.

So, MakeMKV can't detect closed-caption subtitles.

And DVDFab couldn't help me either, since I imagined after seeing that report, something wrong was done while decrypting the original Stargate disc.

Is there a way to convert CC subs to MKV?
Sidrack

Post by Sidrack »

MakeMKV's developer explained this is on the to-do-list, sadly:
http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... 281#p11281
http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=798

Anyway, I made another discovery: it's possible to extract the contents from CC subtitles into SRT files. However (and I am glad I caught this right away, otherwise I would have wasted a lot of time), VobSub software is missing a few lines from the episode, and those lines are no different from others. They were simply forgotten while the whole thing was extracted. I also notice for example several YYYY along with the rest of the text which clearly indicates it can't extract 100% right, perhaps there's some garbage in every subtitle that can't be avoided.

I am guessing I am just going to have to stick with a VIDEO_TS folder instead of Matroska files... again.
Sidrack

Post by Sidrack »

Well, it seems I found a way to do what I want!
http://ccextractor.sourceforge.net/ccex ... ndows.html

This CCExtractorGUI is reading VOB files and extracting (with more precision than VobSub, and no missing lines) the CC contents!

The only problem I had was the fact that it cannot process multiple titles at once (in this case I am dealing with a DVD with 4 episodes of 45 minutes each).

So I had to use DVDFab and reconvert the DVD into a customized one with a single episode, and two VOB files:

VTS_01_1.VOB with 1 GB
VTS_01_2.VOB with 700 MB

Otherwise, if I add all VOB files from the current DVD (7 GB), the final SRT file will have 2 hours for example, combining all subtitles/lines, creating a single file.

Someone offered this solution and others here.
setarip_old

RESOLVED: Impossible to convert closed-caption subtitles

Post by setarip_old »

Congratulations on your (finally) effective use of search functions ;>}

Sidrack

Post by Sidrack »

I haven't found what I was looking for. This is a workaround and it works nice, but in my case it is going to waste more time since I am dealing with a TV show. But it's better than nothing. :wink:
SystemDisc

Post by SystemDisc »

The current workaround for this appears to be to put all the VOBs in CCExtractorGUI and have that extract the subtitles into an SRT file. The only issue I've run into is if the video doesn't start at the beginning of the VOB files (if there are previews in the same VOB as the movie for instance). In this case, I extract the movie with DVD Decryptor into a new VOB file and use CCExtractorGUI to grab the subtitles.

Is there an ETA on when MakeMKV will detect and support CC Subtitles (EIA-608: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EIA-608)? I assume MakeMKV would have to convert them to SRT