Fast Five (2011) Blu-Ray - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
michaelknyc

Fast Five (2011) Blu-Ray - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE

Post by michaelknyc »

I have purchased about five of these copies from Best Buy, and returned each as it was unreadable on my iMac running OSX 10.11.5 El Capitan and MakeMKV 1.10.0 on a Pioneer BDR-XS06 Blu-Ray 6X/DVD/CD USB 3.0 Slim External Slot Burner.

In fact, many of my recent attempts have yielded this error:

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/50291.m2ts' at offset '847872'

The discs are brand new with no dust. I have wiped many of them all to no avail. I'm inclined to think some of the recent OSX updates have caused this error to start appearing, as it's not just the Fast Five Blu-Ray that's affected.

Can anyone confirm similar issues?
Woodstock

Re: Fast Five (2011) Blu-Ray - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTAB

Post by Woodstock »

The version doesn't matter when the drive says it can't read the disk.

When you wiped them clean, did you do it with a dry or damp cloth? More and more, I'm seeing disks that were packaged by machines that leave a slight film on the disks, and it screws up the laser's view of the data. It won't come off with a dry cloth; damp cotton or microfiber works well.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
michaelknyc

Re: Fast Five (2011) Blu-Ray - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTAB

Post by michaelknyc »

Hi, and thanks for the reply.

I did notice a haze on the surface. I wiped it with a microfiber cloth under strong light and got rid of it entirely. I've additionally tried ripping it on a different computer (iMac Mini, latest gen), and using a different USB cable. All to no avail. Same SCSI error. There do appear to be slight aesthetic imperfections on the disc, but not on the surface, but below it. Small rips it appears, though this would be part of the manufacturing process.

Strangely enough, the disc plays fine in its entirety on a Blu-Ray player.

Wonder what's going on.