Godzilla Box Set - Criterion

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
GunerX

Godzilla Box Set - Criterion

Post by GunerX »

Every single disc is giving me error

Error 'OS error - This device does not exist' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BU40N 1.00 MO1LC2B5000' at offset '524288'
Error 'OS error - This device does not exist' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BU40N 1.00 MO1LC2B5000' at offset '1048576'
Error 'OS error - This device does not exist' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BU40N 1.00 MO1LC2B5000' at offset '32768'

Every single disc gives error Failed to open disc, sometimes at different offsets. The discs are not scratched, no damage, no fingerprints, no dust. Its not the drive either, other discs work fine.
Woodstock

Re: Godzilla Box Set - Criterion

Post by Woodstock »

The problem is that your drive doesn't agree with you on the quality of the disks. It's hitting errors that probably cause it to retry reading, which the computer assumes means the drive went off-line. Are you hearing it retry reading?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
GunerX

Post by GunerX »

What do you mean by Retry Reading? It fails literally right away. Like in less than 1 second.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

You didn't mention that - having offsets usually means that the disk was partially read, then the drive goes off-line while continuing to try reading a part of the disk.

The operating system is not able to read the disk, and says the drive is off-line. Why it thinks that is what needs to be determined. The fact that it occurs "instantly" is weird.

Is this a USB drive, or controlled directly be the computer (like a laptop drive)? The BU-40N can be either.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
GunerX

Post by GunerX »

Its USB, but it reads all other discs fine. Even 4k Bluray. Even other Criterion discs. Just not these 8 discs.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

GunerX wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:57 am
Its USB, but it reads all other discs fine. Even 4k Bluray. Even other Criterion discs. Just not these 8 discs.
power error seen it 1000 times with the BU40N use a high power usb hub
or plug in to 2 separate usb circuits
you can use a wall charger in a pinch but i dont recommend it as power will flow both ways and i have seen computers damaged by doing that when they turn off
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
GunerX

Post by GunerX »

Billycar11 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:18 am
GunerX wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:57 am
power error seen it 1000 times with the BU40N use a high power usb hub
or plug in to 2 separate usb circuits
you can use a wall charger in a pinch but i dont recommend it as power will flow both ways and i have seen computers damaged by doing that when they turn off
This worked! Thank you!