OS error "the system cannot find the file specifed"...

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Paul B

OS error "the system cannot find the file specifed"...

Post by Paul B »

I am a registered/buyer user, and MakeMKV was working perfectly to archive my home blu-ray library until recently. It occurs with ALL of my blu-rays and when I start trying to convert, it gives an OS error stating it "the system cannot find the file specified" occurred while creating 'C:/Users/paulb/Desktop/Converted Movies/DISC TITLE.mkv'

I have tried it with the most recent update (1.12.0) and then uninstalled and reinstalled the original version when I signed up, I think it's 1.08. Anyway, I included the log files. I am archiving through two computers (I will deactivate and part-out my Windows 7 computer once I'm done archiving my collection in a couple weeks). My windows 7 computer works fine, no issues, keeps burning my blu-rays fine. HOWEVER, my windows 10 computer is the one creating the above error and log files.

Please let me know if there's something I can do to fix this, as my Windows 10 computer will be my primary (only) computer soon. It's probably some setting I haven't found or don't understand.
Attachments
MKB_v57_THE_MAN_FROM_UNCLE.tgz
(14.76 KiB) Downloaded 391 times
MakeMKV_log.txt
(6.75 KiB) Downloaded 358 times
Woodstock

Re: OS error "the system cannot find the file specifed"...

Post by Woodstock »

Is there space on your C drive?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Plenty of space on the local drive, as well as 17TB of space on local server. I've tried to save to both, but the conversion process aborts within 20 sec of start.

Paul
mgrier

Post by mgrier »

Get procmon from sysinternals (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... ds/procmon) and watch for the error. You'll be able to see what specifically it's trying to access that generates the error.

Probably. Sometimes these error codes come from internal error paths in applications and you have to just turn on verbose logging.
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

So, this is interesting. I was thinking about the error itself and thought, huh, it seems like MakeMKV can't find the system folders. I had originally set up the output directory as custom and set the destination folder on the desktop. When I tried to map it directly from the preferences area, I couldn't find the old folder or make a new destination folder. Then, I tried just to click on desktop to make it the output folder, and MakeMKV suddenly made a notification it couldn't find the desktop folder saying it couldn't find it. I then changed the output folder to auto or semi auto and then, MakeMKV made its own output folder on the C drive, and behold...it started copying blu-rays again.

I am waiting for that blu-ray to finish converting, and have yet to fiddle with trying to make the output folder from the conversion screen (where you click convert to start the process). Will see if that is working properly.
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

So, if I change the output folder settings to anything other than "auto" in the preferences settings, MakeMKV cannot find the folder and produces the error. If I leave it on "auto", then MakeMKV produces a new, unique output folder based on the disc title in the C: drive under the user and in a new "video" folder.

Any ideas for a fix where I can go back to my own designated output folder?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I use "semi-auto", because it will start with the path designated in the text box, and put subdirectories in, according to the disk name. These can be overridden, of course.
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

I tried semi-auto. Wouldn't work.
preserve

Post by preserve »

Never had this issue, with any version of MakeMKV including the latest, although I'm using Win XP Pro and Win 7 Pro, not Win 10.

On my dedicated ripping machine, I rip to E:/Video.

E is actually my system drive (screwed up install).

I make a subdirectory under the Video dir with my own preferred name (for example, Mr Robot S3D1) and gather some disc info that I stick in that subdirectory.

I have MakeMKV set to Auto, but I start MakeMKV and then just type in the subdir I made as the "Output folder" to rip to that specific directory, since my preferred names are usually short so they're easy to type, and it defaults to E:/Video (remembering the previous rip, I guess).

(Can you remove photo or make it to fit? Makes it a pain to read thread on some devices.)
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The path used may be an issue - I've seen problems with MakeMKV on Windows if you use paths with backslashes as directory separators; "E:/Video", for example, works better than "E:\Video".
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

I actually don't type in the destination directory. Rather, I click on the folder icon and find where I want to put it. If I select the new folder icon option through the explore window in MakeMKV, it gives me an error tone and says it cannot find the location requested. If I click on the higher level folder I was just in trying to create the new destination folder, then MakeMKV gives the same error tone and message saying it can't find the folder I was already just in. It's quite odd.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Auto and Semi both need SOMETHING in the text box to use as an origin.
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

On custom settings, when I click on the destination to select it, it does self populate with:
C:/Users/paul/Desktop/Converted Movies

Which is the folder where I want to save it. But, for some reason, MakeMKX cannot access the desktop and/or folder to create the output file.
preserve

Post by preserve »

Try a folder without a space in it as the starting folder.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

No luck with the space. So, I finally caved in and just reinstalled windows. It all works fine again. It must have had to do with some setting I inadvertently changed. Now if I can just get Handbrake to stop crashing while processing the large blu-ray files from MakeMKV. (Handbrake does fine with the DVDs, is just the larger blu-ray files I have issues with.) I suppose I'll try the Handbrake forum unless anyone has any ideas.