Minority Report Blu-Ray

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
giddie

Minority Report Blu-Ray

Post by giddie »

I'm having difficulties ripping the special features from the Minority Report Blu-Ray (UK Version). The special features on this disc seem to rely quite heavily on advanced BD features, using picture-in-picture, etc...

As an example, there is a 9:35 title on the disc entitled "The Story, The Debate" (Title 27 / Segment 855 in MakeMKV). When I extract this with MakeMKV, the audio is fine, but the video is blank. VLC is also able to play this title, but identifies two video streams: one 1080p, and one SD. The second video stream contains the actual content. MakeMKV seems not to detect this second video stream at all, nor does Handbrake (which usually detects whatever VLC detects).

There are also a number of short-length titles (e.g. 0:41 "Tom Cruise on Spielberg's Methods"), which appear in VLC, but MakeMKV seems not to notice them, despite having the "minimum title length" set to 0.
giddie

Re: Minority Report Blu-Ray

Post by giddie »

Bump: no ideas? No-one else?
oliverhallam

Post by oliverhallam »

I've run into the same issue - this is still a problem in the latest version of MakeMKV.

My workaround, whilst not ideal, was to rip these extras from a copy of the DVD instead of the Blu Ray, which I just happened to have lying around. It seems that all of the affected extras are the ones that were imported directly from the DVD release, and the SD video has been packaged awkwardly on the Blu-Ray release alongside a black HD video track.
nickdanp

Post by nickdanp »

I know this thread is over five years old, but the fact I only stumbled on it yesterday while researching the exact same problem hopefully means what I've discovered will be of use to others in future.

First, you need to take a backup of the Blu-ray disc in MakeMKV to extract all the required files. Once done, you'll find the actual files under BDMV\STREAM in .m2ts format as you'd normally expect.

Now, download and install (or run the portable version of) MKVToolnixGUI (https://mkvtoolnix.download/downloads.html). From here, open the tool to the Multiplexer screen. Right-click inside the Input box and choose 'Add files', browse to the STREAM folder and you'll probably be able to identify all the tracks with the 'wrong' video feed by their black thumbnails. Select one and click Open. You'll see all its video, audio and subtitle tracks displayed. Simply untick the first video track (ID 0), choose where to save the exported MKV file and click 'Start multiplexing'.

It's a quick job and you'll be left with an MKV file that hopefully displays the correct video feed, which you can then feed into Handbrake or whatever tool you use.

Once you've proved it all works, you can then speed things up a little - when adding new files, select all the files you want to add at once and click Open. When the pop-up appears, choose 'Create new multiplex settings for each file' and they'll be loaded into individual tabs, which you can set up and then multiplex one at a time (or add to the queue).

Hope that helps - certainly worked for me!
giddie

Post by giddie »

Nice! Thanks for posting your solution :)