Highest AACS version

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
jaydear

Highest AACS version

Post by jaydear »

MakeMKV tells me my BD drive's highest AACS version is 63. Does that mean I won't be able to process discs with a higher AACS version?

Is it possible to flash a BD drive's firmware to update the AACS version?

If I need to buy a new BD drive, how would I find out what AACS version it supports before I pay?
Grauhaar

Re: Highest AACS version

Post by Grauhaar »

This is the highest AACS version which has been accessed with the drive. So no panic :D
Good Luck :)

Post by jaydear »

Thanks for that information... I did not know that! :D
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

It's actually the highest that MakeMKV has seen when using that drive. It is possible a higher AACS version has been accessed by another process at some time. You can even reset that statistic.

The highest version MakeMKV itself can handle is listed on the download page, in the release notes. /download/
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
jaydear

Post by jaydear »

Thanks Woodstock and Grauhaar.
hslansky

Post by hslansky »

I just purchased the Blu-Ray of "The Wedding Date". The disk is AACS V65 and Makemkv is unable to decode it. Is there a plan as to when this version of AACS will be supported?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Did you click on the link in the log window to report the new AACS version to Mike?

When MakeMKV encounters an AACS version higher than it can handle, it creates a file to send in with a click of the mouse.

Otherwise, you have to go into your makemkv directory and find the file that starts with MKBv65 and email it to svq@makemkv.com .
hslansky

Post by hslansky »

Yes, I did click on that link.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

OK, that means Mike has the information. I'm really not sure how many "versions" of the AACS information Mike needs when AACS is updated, but the more the better, I think.

AACS version changes, though, usually require a new program release. We will have to see what Mike does.
latenitec1

Post by latenitec1 »

Grauhaar wrote:This is the highest AACS version which has been accessed with the drive. So no panic :D
Umm, I'm seeing the exact same thing and my drive (LG BH12LS38) will NOT recognize the disc (annihilation) which I've been told is V65. Also tried to access the disc from VLC same result.

Then again it just might be a bad disk (but it plays ok on my standalone bluray player).

Don't know what the answer is but I'm wondering if we have hit a firmware limit (63 is the largest number you can store in one byte, I've seen lots of bugs when you reach this type of boundary condition)
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

8-bit bytes store values 0-255. I doubt that anything involving encryption would be tied to a tinyint value, though.
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

latenitec1 wrote:63 is the largest number you can store in one byte, I've seen lots of bugs when you reach this type of boundary condition)
Intresting, can you please explain why 63 (Decimal or Hexadecimal) is the largest/highest number? I'm working since approx. 40 years with computers and have never heard this.

8 bits are one byte, and one bit can hold two states (0 and 1). So 1 bit = 2 states, 2 bits = 4 states, 3 bits = 8 states, 4 bits = 16 states, 5 bits = 32 states, 6 bits = 64 states, 7 bits = 128 states and 8 bits = 256 states.
Good Luck :)

Post by Idaho121 »

latenitec1 wrote:
Grauhaar wrote:This is the highest AACS version which has been accessed with the drive. So no panic :D
Umm, I'm seeing the exact same thing and my drive (LG BH12LS38) will NOT recognize the disc (annihilation) which I've been told is V65. Also tried to access the disc from VLC same result.

Then again it just might be a bad disk (but it plays ok on my standalone bluray player).

Don't know what the answer is but I'm wondering if we have hit a firmware limit (63 is the largest number you can store in one byte, I've seen lots of bugs when you reach this type of boundary condition)
I think you may have misinterpreted my other thread. AACS 65 works on my machine; Annihilation is showing as being above AACS 65, not 65. I'm waiting for the next update to rip it.