Illegal Request Copy Protection Key Exchange Failure | Win10

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
sndinc

Illegal Request Copy Protection Key Exchange Failure | Win10

Post by sndinc »

So I have seen a lot of posts about this regarding Linux and most people say it doesn't happen in Windows, but this is happening to me in Windows. I didn't see a Windows OS specific Forum so hope I got the right one. Little background. I had 3 disks and did the first 2 fine. The 3rd I started getting those errors. Now if I put the first two disks back in, those disks give the same errors. Seems the drive is the issue.

Code: Select all

Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - AUTHENTICATION FAILURE' occurred while issuing SCSI command A30..00200740100720..0665A8127B49254C332743E39CDAACAE5FD to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom0'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT ESTABLISHED' occurred while issuing SCSI command AD010..080002400 to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom0'
I attacked the TGZ file if that helps. I updated the drive firmware and still have the same issue. Windows 10 and it was "The Strangers Prey at Night" that started the problem. Is it time for a new drive??? Please help!

TIA
Attachments
MKB_v65_The_Strangers_Prey_at_Night_115C.tgz
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 496 times
Woodstock

Re: Illegal Request Copy Protection Key Exchange Failure | W

Post by Woodstock »

The tgz file should be sent to svq@makemkv.com, although AACS v65 should be readable by the current version of MakeMKV, 1.12.2.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
sndinc

Post by sndinc »

I'm not really sure what to say other than, something happened when I tried to do that disk and now I can't read disks I could read before. I am seeing highest AACS version says 65. I am on version 1.12.2 of MakeMKV. I see the Linux posts talking about the drive being revoked... is that what happened? Does that mean I need a new drive or is there a way to reset this mess?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Revocation should not happen if AACS is v65 or lower. However, it could - which is why sending that file to Mike is important.
rivey

Post by rivey »

Woodstock wrote:Revocation should not happen if AACS is v65 or lower. However, it could - which is why sending that file to Mike is important.
I have a question Woodstock, exactly what is revocation? I have ripped probably 125 discs (maybe 25 of them UHD) and have not had a single problem as long as each disc was properly cleaned. Yet I keep hearing that others have problems and am hearing more people talking about revocation. What is it and what causes it? Sorry if I seem stupid, but I really don't understand it. TIA
sndinc

Post by sndinc »

rivey wrote:I have a question Woodstock, exactly what is revocation? I have ripped probably 125 discs (maybe 25 of them UHD) and have not had a single problem as long as each disc was properly cleaned. Yet I keep hearing that others have problems and am hearing more people talking about revocation. What is it and what causes it? Sorry if I seem stupid, but I really don't understand it. TIA
I am sort of in the same boat, I don't understand what it all means. Also, I think before I did a firmware update, my drive was showing AACS 60 and after the update it was showing AACS 65.

I'll email the file in.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Revocation is where a table included in the AACS information on a disk lists access keys that are forbidden to access BDs. Usually is the key used by a player that was compromised, but sometimes it's the key being used by MakeMKV or one of the other disk rippers.

Once a drive reads a disk with a revocation table in it (you don't have to do anything more than put the disk in the drive), those keys will no longer be valid for accessing ANY BD content. Disks you ripped before will be unreadable. DVD content will be fine.

When this happens, Mike has to create a new BD access key for MakeMKV, which will be released as a new version.

Revocation is handled by the drive and application talking to each other. If MakeMKV's key is revoked, you could still read the content using a BD player application.

If you have a BD player application, you could test to see if it's MakeMKV's key being revoked by trying to play a BD.
rivey

Post by rivey »

Woodstock wrote:Revocation is where a table included in the AACS information on a disk lists access keys that are forbidden to access BDs. Usually is the key used by a player that was compromised, but sometimes it's the key being used by MakeMKV or one of the other disk rippers.

Once a drive reads a disk with a revocation table in it (you don't have to do anything more than put the disk in the drive), those keys will no longer be valid for accessing ANY BD content. Disks you ripped before will be unreadable. DVD content will be fine.

When this happens, Mike has to create a new BD access key for MakeMKV, which will be released as a new version.

Revocation is handled by the drive and application talking to each other. If MakeMKV's key is revoked, you could still read the content using a BD player application.

If you have a BD player application, you could test to see if it's MakeMKV's key being revoked by trying to play a BD.
That is much clearer, thank-you. Then that would beg the question, are these revocation tables just on random discs or is this just a way for the disc producers to stop us from ripping our own discs? Also, is there a list available so that we know what discs are involved with this problem? Once this revocation tablem hits, is there a time frame that we should expect a new table to correct this problem? Thanks
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

When AACS is updated, the revocation table that are part of it may or may not be updated.

Not every AACS update includes an update to the revocation table; I've had new AACS versions in the past that MakeMKV had to be updated to work with, but they didn't revoke MakeMKV's then-current key. That is, I couldn't rip the new disk, but disks with older versions of AACS continued to work fine.

Only once have I had a disk revoke a key.... Which is when having multiple Bluray drives comes in VERY handy. Only the drive I had put the "bad" disk into stopped ripping; the others let me keep going until the new version of MakeMKV came out.

Timetable for support depends on Mike and people supplying him with dumps of the AACS information. I'm rarely on the leading edge of receiving AACS versions, so I've rarely seen more than a week go by before the update is available.