Unable to rip Better Call Saul Season 02E04

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
uncleowen

Unable to rip Better Call Saul Season 02E04

Post by uncleowen »

All the other episodes ripped fine except for 02E04. Here's the error below. I've cleaned the disk many times.

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00334.m2ts' at offset '1425211392'
Error 'Posix error - Input/output error' occurred while reading '/dev/rdisk2' at offset '1425211392'
Woodstock

Re: Unable to rip Better Call Saul Season 02E04

Post by Woodstock »

Which means there is an error on the disk, if it's consistent at the same location.

If the location moves, it may be an error where the disk spins faster than it has power for, but that isn't as likely if you're JUST trying to rip the one episode.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
uncleowen

Post by uncleowen »

I was able to rip the other episodes with no problem. The disc looks clean. Maybe it's a small scratch that's causing the error. I was able to copy the whole disc to my computer and tried pointing makemkv to that folder but it didn't work. I thought that there might be a why to copy the whole disc and then rip from that folder. Is there a way?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The problem is that MakeMKV will have an error if the sector(s) involved were damaged, even on a copy. Most copies will write whatever is in the buffer when the program hits an error, which is unlikely to be what was supposed to be there, and MakeMKV will report the copy as bad.

If you cannot replace the disk, you can attempt to polish the area to make the scratch "disappear" enough to read the track, or try a different drive.

I had one disk with a track error on Hercules years ago, and went through 4 copies of the disk trying to get that one episode. I tried many different drives, until I found one drive (a really old one!) that could read that sector with a lot of retries. Then I bitched about it for over a decade on this forum... :)
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

uncleowen wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:38 pm
I was able to rip the other episodes with no problem. The disc looks clean. Maybe it's a small scratch that's causing the error. I was able to copy the whole disc to my computer and tried pointing makemkv to that folder but it didn't work. I thought that there might be a why to copy the whole disc and then rip from that folder. Is there a way?
MakeMKV has a way to make a decrypted backup of a disc. From this you can open the folder in MakeMKV and create .mkv files. If you just use filesystem commands to copy a disc to your filesystem, the encryption/DRM won't have been handled correctly and it won't work.