version 1.17.4 only store english langauge

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
DrewE

version 1.17.4 only store english langauge

Post by DrewE »

Hi MakeMKV Team,

I have been using MakeMKV for a LONG time.
It is a GREAT program, thanks. :D
The newest Version 1.17.4 is ONLY writing off the english versions of Audio and Sub-Titles. :(
Had to switch back to the 1.17.3 version in order to have ALL langauges written to the MKV file.
Woodstock

Re: version 1.17.4 only store english langauge

Post by Woodstock »

That seems very strange, because my setup saves both English and Japanese on titles I'm ripping. Have you verified that your setup isn't just set to "english only"?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
DrewE

Post by DrewE »

I looked around in the setting and could NOT find anything where I could set to English only.

I am in Germany and not Japan so I don't have anything with Japanese.
I have several disk where the Movie Trailers ONLY have German and switching to German also did NOT help in getting the Version 1,17.4 to save the German Language Audio and Sub-Titles.

Where would the place in the settings be for some language only?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Under Settings->Language, do you have anything set for "Preferred language"? "None" will default to all languages present on the disk. This is separate from the Interface language setting.

In the Advanced settings (not turned on by default, turn on "Expert mode" in General settings), you can set a selection string, but that is not changed by most people. I have mine set to select English as primary, but all languages are enabled on the Language page.
DrewE

Post by DrewE »

I tried both Preferred language = None and set to English or German and it still ONLY saved the English Audio and Sub-Titles.

Again I had to roll back to the Version 1.17.3 in order for it to work correctly again.

I had tried the new version because I was having a problem with UHD 4K discs ripping correctly (Lord Of The Rings) many of the discs were having problem getting read. I had sent an e-mail on the 28/05/2023 and the next day the Version 1.17.4 was made available. That is why I downloaded it and installed it but it did NOT solve the problem with the UHD 4K discs. I send another e-mail on the 25/07/2023. Both times I included a TGZ files that were generated when the problem occurred. :(
DrewE

Post by DrewE »

Is ANYONE looking into this?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

DrewE wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:30 am
Is ANYONE looking into this?
I think you're the only user that's reported this behavior. Woodstock suggested the 'preferred language' setting, which is almost always what causes others problems. The situation suggests that it is something specific to your setup.

I don't know what it could be. It is unexpected that rolling back to 1.17.3 fixes the situation. My only suggestion would be to uninstall MakeMKV completely, including all preference files and registry keys (if on Windows) and install a fresh copy. If you have a licensed copy of MakeMKV, make sure you have your license key available so you can register your new installation.

I don't know if that will fix the situation, but it is my least worst idea.
DrewE

Post by DrewE »

Thank you dcoke22 for answering at all.
I have MakeMKV on more than one machine. The Version 1.17.4 is acting the same an ALL machines.
Rolling back to the 1.17.3 Version fixes this problem on ALL machines.
On one of the machines I had installed MakeMKV Version 1.17.4 before ANY OTHER version if it was installed on that machine and it had the exact same problem. deinstalling that version and installing the 1.17.3 version (because a rollback can't be done when it was never there in the first place) the problem was gone and it was working like it should with all languages.

So from my side it IS the version 1.17.4 that has the problem and ONLY with that version NO MATTER how it or the other version was installed, in the end the version 1.17.4 ONLY knows english and the 1.17.3 can do all. :shock: :? :cry:

Who else has an idea what can cause this?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Just today I've used 1.17.4 to rip a blu-ray of Studio Ghibli film, getting both the Japanese and English audio tracks.
DrewE

Post by DrewE »

I have NO blurays with Japanese.
Why don't you try a BluRay with German, because you don't have one. ??
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I don't normally keep German audio, since I don't speak German. However, a disc I'm working on right now has English, French, German, Italian, and two different Spanish audio tracks. It also has subtitles in all those languages as well as Portuguese, Dutch, Korean, Finnish, Swedish, and Norwegian. I ripped a copy with all of those languages and the subtitles. They're all in my resulting file. I can click through all of them in MPV (my player of choice). And they show up in the metadata for the .mkv file when I look at it with MediaInfo.
DrewE

Post by DrewE »

Hi dcoke22,
thanks again for your reply.
Your experience with ther Blu-Ray disc that you have is the way I also know how MakeMKV works but for me the 1.17.4 still does NOT act that way.

Who in the MakeMKV development team can help analysis what is going on here.

How can I create a debug log so that a developer can see exactly what is going on on my machines with the version 1.17.4 and 1.17.3 and why there is a difference?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The person to ask is the developer, "Mike Admin" here. Quickest way is to send a message to support@makemkv.com . He will want the log from opening the disk with both versions, most likely, to compare them (those various DEBUG codes embedded in the log will tell him more). The log resets each time you start the program, so you will need to rename it after each run. You will see where it's stored when you start the program (assuming debug logging is turned on):

Code: Select all

001004:0000 Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as C:\Users\USERNAME/MakeMKV_log.txt
He will ask any questions about it in the emails.