Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
RESET_9999

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by RESET_9999 »

2-1-5 in the latest version
tjreis2

Post by tjreis2 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:34 pm
2-1-5 in the latest version
Thank you! If i played the file in the Shield, would it still have the same problem? As it is a CMV4.0 device
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Shield is a cmv4.0 device, yes i guess so.
JCLG8

Post by JCLG8 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:19 pm
I would guess it's because CMV4.0 and this is why I always remove it. The L2 trims in Wonka is a global positive lift which is ignored by cmv4.0 devices.
In Aquaman, the L2 trims are not a positive lift. Try to remove CMV4.0 in wonka and I bet the brightness will match the x800m2.

Slope - Offset value over 2048 = positive lift
Power value under 2048 = positive lift

JCLG8 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:06 pm
If I have an ST-DL file and it plays on the X700 is there a reason to convert it to DT-DL?
nop
Alright thanks, btw a few days ago I tried a file you recommended for testing black crush, the bars that flash are basically not visible at all when using dolby vision with local dimming at minimum, and a little visible with local dimming off. With HDR10 its completely visible even with local dimming.
tjreis2

Post by tjreis2 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:49 pm
Shield is a cmv4.0 device, yes i guess so.
Thank You! I have been following your work and the discussions associated with DV for quite some time in this forum, but everytime i think i undertstand the correct setup, there is some new discussion that throws me out of the loop!

If i understand correctly, all CMV 4.0 movies are better being converted to CMV2.9, despite of player (internal vs x800m2 vs shield) correct? The same applies to cropped vs non cropped movies?

The setup i was using is:

If movie is DV P7 FEL and Lossless - Workflow 4-3 and play on x800m2
If movie is DV P8 (non cropped) and lossy - tsmuxer and play on x800m2
If movie is DV P8 (cropped) and lossy - tsmuxer and play on C2 internal player.

Should I add a verification step (Workflow 2-3) to see if the movie is CMV4.0 and convert to CMV2.9? Or should i do this all the time? Furthermore, do I need to do something else in case of DV P8 (cropped) movies, to be played in the internal player, like editing L5?

Thank you so much once again, and sorry for all the questions, just trying to be sure what are the correct steps and players to use!
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

You can set the script(line 99) to always remove cmv4.0 regardless of the workflow you use.

PS: I just asked Dolby and sent them a bunch of test files about CMV4.0 missing level 8 and L2 trim offset ignored in tv-led.
Let see what they say.

do I need to do something else in case of DV P8 (cropped) movies, to be played in the internal player, like editing L5?
cropped content from apple are missing L5 but it doesn't seem to cause any issue so you can leave it untouched or edit to 0
tjreis2

Post by tjreis2 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:35 pm
PS: I just asked Dolby and sent them a bunch of test files about CMV4.0 missing level 8 and L2 trim offset ignored in tv-led.
Let see what they say.
Thank You! Its super weird that something like this escapes in testing. Is there actually any way to correctly play CMV4.0 files? The internal player is CMV4.0 and the image was much darker, i doubt that was the intended mastering they wanted..

Regarding the setup im using, do you think i need to change anything?
susanstone2022

Post by susanstone2022 »

tjreis2 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:09 pm
RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:35 pm
Let see what they say.
Thank You! Its super weird that something like this escapes in testing. Is there actually any way to correctly play CMV4.0 files? The internal player is CMV4.0 and the image was much darker, i doubt that was the intended mastering they wanted..

Not only should we ask Dolby, but also ask LG, Sony, etc. Current behaviors of playback devices and display devices does not make sense to me.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

tjreis2 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:09 pm
No , it sounds right but you should try DV MKV with kodi on your C2, it works great on my end (PGS and SRT).
https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_for_webOS
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

susanstone2022 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:59 pm
Not only should we ask Dolby, but also ask LG, Sony, etc. Current behaviors of playback devices and display devices does not make sense to me.
Well, unless you are new to this DV thing, we found out quite early that DV is a total mess filled with bugs.
susanstone2022

Post by susanstone2022 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:48 pm
susanstone2022 wrote:
Well, unless you are new to this DV thing, we found out quite early that DV is a total mess filled with bugs.
yeah. I have been following the thread. maybe consumers should start a class action suit against Dolby, LG, Sony, etc so they may take the mess more seriously.
chros

Post by chros »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:11 pm
thanks for confirming, it makes sense.

What is the internal config for tmax in our C2
I have added DoVi section to all the available settings docs.
VSVDB is the EDID value.
skull88

Post by skull88 »

susanstone2022 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:57 pm
RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:48 pm
susanstone2022 wrote:
yeah. I have been following the thread. maybe consumers should start a class action suit against Dolby, LG, Sony, etc so they may take the mess more seriously.
How would that work? "Dolby Vision looks good, but not accurate on all devices, give me money back!!" Lol. Joking aside, it will never work as you cannot prove you're paying any specific unavoidable costs for Dolby Vision support when you purchase a device, and even if you could argue that you are, someone like Apple will state that they do support it, and it plays back fine. Dolby's out is that it's on the creators to follow their "guidelines" and they cannot force manufacturers to strictly adhere to Dolby specs, they pay a license fee to implement as they see fit. Even in the insane universe in which somehow the lawsuit is won, each participating individual will get like pennies or a dollar or something per device they bought, as LG, Sony, and others will argue that they include Dolby Vision as a gesture of goodwill to their consumers and it's not built-it into the price of any particular TV model beyond some tiny fraction based on economies of scale and perpetual Dolby licensing. If you want a more valuable lawsuit or petition to improve PQ for every consumer in the world of any decent TV, it would be to require TV manufacturers to include guided calibration apps or self-calibration or AI-based setup programming based on the room's conditions in each TV set they ship out of the box! Imagine living in a world like that, haha.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

chros wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:03 pm
VSVDB is the EDID value.
that's great info. thanks a lot man.
aboulfad

Post by aboulfad »

chros wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:03 pm

VSVDB is the EDID value.
Were those values retrieved using bscpylgtv command or by extracting the default DV config files from the C2 TV firmware?
As discussed prior, I think @quietvoid commented that the EDID Tmax values transmitted to an hdmi external device are used for “detection/player led” and TV led uses those internal config values.

The C2 default config file entry is same to what you’ve captured in the docs. It may not or is not the same as the EDID VSVDB value transmitted over the wire. Here’s my findings for my older E7, where the EDID VSVDB Dolby Tmax is way lower (350) than my TV’s internal DV Tmax (~750). I don’t have any Vertex to confirm this, I used an rpi5 connected to the TV & a command to get the EDID.
[Oppo UDP-203, ATV 4K] —> Anthem MRX-720 —> LG OLED65E7P