Can't find Bluray Drive

Everything related to MakeMKV
Opentoe

Can't find Bluray Drive

Post by Opentoe »

When I had Windows 7 installed on the same hardware MAKEMKV operated fine. I installed Windows 10 and MAKEMKV doesn't recognize any DVD drives in the system. I can see the drive fine, and see the files themselves on the drive in Windows explorer. This is an older LG BluRay drive that is in perfect working condition, so it looks to be software related. Now that I have a lot more space with my unraid server I want to re-rip some of my discs.

Any ideas here? Standard SATA connection, nothing special, and I do have a legit license key.

Thanks
Woodstock

Re: Can't find Bluray Drive

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV asks the operating system about optical drives - if Windows doesn't consider it to be an optical drive, it won't report it.

Have you done a "real reset" on the machine recently? "Real reset" means shut-down-power-off or shut-down-reset-button reset. Sometimes the motherboard will "get lost", and Windows won't "see" the drive. This is easier with USB devices because you can unplug them and replug them, but anything tied to the MB SATA ports usually needs the system reset to bring it back.

And, of course, there's the possibility that Windows is simply refusing permission to talk to the drive. As you can read in other topics, Win10 has done some wacky stuff with regard to that.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
ma1q_

Post by ma1q_ »

I had this problem too and it was driving me crazy. In my case I was able to right click and Run as Administrator and the drive was suddenly detected. You can also right click on the shortcut, go into Properties and select 'Run this program as an administrator' so you don't need to select it each time.
(Pioneer BDR-208D)
ISDPCMAN

Post by ISDPCMAN »

The "Right Click and RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR" did the trick! That's REALLY odd...the software should find the drives without the need for admin rights but I did get it to work...
archer75

Post by archer75 »

I've been having this same issue the past few updates of makemkv. Windows does indeed see my drive. But then I load a disc and neither windows nor makemkv see the disc. I have to re-insert the disc many times before it finally reads.