Audio is muted for the first several seconds

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
TeridaxXD001

Audio is muted for the first several seconds

Post by TeridaxXD001 »

I tried converting a couple DVDs, and came up with this problem: the audio doesn't start until about 7 seconds in. It's not delayed, meaning it's still synced properly, but it doesn't start until the 7 second mark. They are both Pokemon DVDs manufactured by Pioneer and Viz Video. They were released a few years apart, the release dates being May 14, 1999 and January 29, 2002, if that matters. This problem only affects the opening logos/previews, but those are what I'm trying to convert, so it's a problem.

Also, the subtitles are on by default, can that be changed?
Woodstock

Re: Audio is muted for the first several seconds

Post by Woodstock »

If you play the DVDs in VLC, is the audio muted there, too?

I have ripped a LOT of Viz Media disks, and a few Pioneers, and have not encountered that problem.

On the other hand, BOTH Pioneer and Viz like to do "one subtitle track", so any player that plays subtitles by default is going to play subtitles.

My way of dealing with that is that everything goes through handbrake after ripping. Viz titles (and some others) are processed to generate a NEW subtitle track that is the first listed, that contains "forced only" subtitles. Since there are none in the track, the new track is empty... so subtitles do not appear until the second track is selected.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
TeridaxXD001

Post by TeridaxXD001 »

Woodstock wrote:If you play the DVDs in VLC, is the audio muted there, too?
Yes, it is also muted in VLC.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Is there a chapter numbered 0 (zero) in the MKV files?

While I have not seen (heard?) a dead lead-in on either brand, I have seen short lead-in chapters on some disks. They usually have audio, though. In VLC, you can open the "Playback" menu, and the Chapters item will list the chapters available. A chapter zero is unusual.
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

I've seen issues when the user is sending digital audio out to a receiver of some sort and the receiver has to latch on and figure out what type of signal it is receiving. Often times about half a second but it could be worse with some types of audio and receivers.
TeridaxXD001

Post by TeridaxXD001 »

Would it help if I posted screenshots of the details?
Diana Welz

Post by Diana Welz »

TeridaxXD001 wrote:I tried converting a couple DVDs, and came up with this problem: the audio doesn't start until about 7 seconds in. It's not delayed, meaning it's still synced properly, but it doesn't start until the 7 second mark. They are both Pokemon DVDs manufactured by Pioneer and Viz Video. They were released a few years apart, the release dates being May 14, 1999 and January 29, 2002, if that matters. This problem only affects the opening logos/previews, but those are what I'm trying to convert, so it's a problem.

I just want to know if your DVD is genuine or a pirated on? Because in pirated DVD it is a commonly encountered.
Last edited by Diana Welz on Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
TeridaxXD001

Post by TeridaxXD001 »

Diana Welz wrote:
TeridaxXD001 wrote:I tried converting a couple DVDs, and came up with this problem: the audio doesn't start until about 7 seconds in. It's not delayed, meaning it's still synced properly, but it doesn't start until the 7 second mark. They are both Pokemon DVDs manufactured by Pioneer and Viz Video. They were released a few years apart, the release dates being May 14, 1999 and January 29, 2002, if that matters. This problem only affects the opening logos/previews, but those are what I'm trying to convert, so it's a problem.

I just want to know if your DVD is genuine or a pirated on? Because in pirated DVD it is a commonly encountered.
These are definitely not pirate releases. The only thing is that the second DVD is stored as files, meaning a Video TS folder, on an external hard drive.

That definitely isn't the problem, because the first DVD was converted directly from the disc and it has the same issue.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Are you using an external amplifier for audio, as Krawk asked? I see this with playback to my TV+theater audio setup for some codecs; every time I pause, it takes a moment before the audio comes back.

If you're playing in VLC, what does it show for audio codecs on the Information->Codec screen?
TeridaxXD001

Post by TeridaxXD001 »

Woodstock wrote:Are you using an external amplifier for audio, as Krawk asked? I see this with playback to my TV+theater audio setup for some codecs; every time I pause, it takes a moment before the audio comes back.

If you're playing in VLC, what does it show for audio codecs on the Information->Codec screen?
No external amplifier.

Information:

Ophelia1402

Post by Ophelia1402 »

I have this same issue on integrated graphics through hdmi. Did you find a solution? I remember a while ago i had this little program that would send a constant signal of audio but not that ya could hear it, so the device wouldnt go go sleep or mute, cant find it anymore though, its dam annoying when everytimd you start a video or song ya miss 2 seconds of audio from start
home sweet home
sharmaanitajii

Post by sharmaanitajii »

I just installed drivers from Realtek website while I had a second pair of speakers plugged into the headphone jacks. The drivers installed properly for these speakers and the problem is gone, BUT only when I use an external device on the headphone jack, now the built-in speakers of the laptop won't work, even when there's nothing plugged in.

When I installed Realtek drivers this time now the enhancements tab appeared in windows audio settings (it didn't before), and there I can check "Disable all enhancements" and "Immediate mode". Now I'm not getting the HP Omen audio control by Bang&Olufsen icon, which I believe have to do something with this problem. Maybe it has enhancements by default that cause the playback delay?
I'm not sure who to blame, maybe HP, maybe Bang&Olufsen, maybe Realtek, but this is very annoying. I'd like HP to look into this because this is not a normal thing.

I want to be able to use both my built-in speakers and my external devices without audio issues or delays, is that so much to ask?
Right now I just have two options:
· Be able to use all the speakers but get audio delay at start whenever I play something. (By installing HP Recommended drivers)
· Be able to use only external audio devices but get sound right. (By installing Realtek site drivers while second speakers are plugged)