Evaluation period has expired... No way of using the program

Everything related to MakeMKV
Jerdan

Evaluation period has expired... No way of using the program

Post by Jerdan »

Hello,

I am running into the issue that I am getting the following error message popup:
Evaluation period has expired. Please purchase an activation key if you've found this application useful. You may still use all free functionality without any restrictions.

I installed the latest version (1.10.8) after this message popped up. Still the same. I uninstalled everything and made sure no leftovers are there. I cleaned some of the registry as well. I entered the beta key from this forum and still no luck.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
yorgo

Re: Evaluation period has expired... No way of using the pro

Post by yorgo »

The beta key expires end of November so you may need to wait for the new one, which history shows can take a day up to a couple weeks to be posted. You can also purchase a license and never run into this issue again (as well as keep the development of the software going).
ember1205

Post by ember1205 »

The key expired at least yesterday, so it didn't actually hold through the end of this month as intended.

That does happen sometimes, and you basically have two choices:

- Buy a key
- Wait until a new key is generated and posted
Jerdan

Post by Jerdan »

Thanks all for the repsonses.
rtaft

Post by rtaft »

turn back your clock and use the old key
TheTerrorBeyond

Post by TheTerrorBeyond »

I will never understand why this isn't a trial license. Everyone who uses the program should buy it and support further development.
Media Server: i7-6800k (6-core processor), 32GB RAM, MSI Carbon Pro board, SAS RAID, liquid cooling, NVIDIA 1080SC, (6) 10TB Barracuda Pro, (4)8TB Barracuda Pro, (1) 6TB Barracuda, (1) 4TB Barracuda, (1) Toshiba 512GB SSD, (1) Intel 256GB Intel M.2 SSD.
ember1205

Post by ember1205 »

TheTerrorBeyond wrote:I will never understand why this isn't a trial license. Everyone who uses the program should buy it and support further development.
If it were a non-BETA, a trial license would make perfect sense. With many features being added still, and pieces being tuned to work [better / correctly], a trial license would mean that many people would not be able to actually try the product with the features they need fully functional.

Additionally, there are many folks here that do not have a purchased license but are able to continue using the product (possibly even only very occasionally) and providing feedback to the developers. Moving to a trial license while in BETA would take all of that away.
TheTerrorBeyond

Post by TheTerrorBeyond »

ember1205 wrote:
TheTerrorBeyond wrote:I will never understand why this isn't a trial license. Everyone who uses the program should buy it and support further development.
If it were a non-BETA, a trial license would make perfect sense. With many features being added still, and pieces being tuned to work [better / correctly], a trial license would mean that many people would not be able to actually try the product with the features they need fully functional.

Additionally, there are many folks here that do not have a purchased license but are able to continue using the product (possibly even only very occasionally) and providing feedback to the developers. Moving to a trial license while in BETA would take all of that away.
There is reason there, to be certain. I can't find fault with your comment at all.

The issue I have is that a LOT of people just use it for free and get aggravated when the key expires. I contend that everyone should support the development of the application if they use it regularly. The developer doesn't owe me a free program... I owe him my thanks and a very reasonable fee for his excellent and very hard work. If you rarely ever use it, sure, don't pay yet.
Media Server: i7-6800k (6-core processor), 32GB RAM, MSI Carbon Pro board, SAS RAID, liquid cooling, NVIDIA 1080SC, (6) 10TB Barracuda Pro, (4)8TB Barracuda Pro, (1) 6TB Barracuda, (1) 4TB Barracuda, (1) Toshiba 512GB SSD, (1) Intel 256GB Intel M.2 SSD.