Certain BBC discs having audio issues

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
tenor1411

Certain BBC discs having audio issues

Post by tenor1411 »

I am having issues with certain blu rays of BBC shows like Doctor Who and Sherlock. The picture is fine, but the audio sounds like it's being broadcast through a very high speed fan. I have this same issue when playing my blu rays on my ps3. I am thinking that it might be the file is originally encoded at 25 fps being forced down to 24 fps by the player or software. The picture remains just fine but the audio is as I described.

Is there a way to force MakeMKV to encode at 25 fps instead of 24? I've looked through all the settings and could find nothing. Barring that, is there a way to rip the raw audio at the correct speed?
yorgo

Re: Certain BBC discs having audio issues

Post by yorgo »

MakeMKV does not transcode or alter the original content of a disc in any way (with the exception of removing tracks and containing audio into say a flac file). For that, you'll need another tool like Handbrake.

Are you experiencing this when playing the disc itself ("playing my blu rays on my ps3")? Ripping to .mkv and playing back via software player? Another hardware player? A bit more information would help. I've successfully ripped and played back Sherlock via software (MPC-HC, Kodi) and hardware (Mede8er) with no issues like you're describing.
tenor1411

Post by tenor1411 »

I'm experiencing this when it is played on my ps3 and when I rip it to my PC via MakeMKV. I do not have actual playing software for my pc that is of any real use. The problem with MakeMKV is that the output .mkv file is transcoded at 23.97fps. If MakeMKV is only taking the data it receives from the reading drive, then it is the reader which is causing the issue.

I've tried using handbrake after ripping with MakeMKV, but even shifting the frame rate in Handbrake doesn't realign the audio, it just re-encodes the error-laden audio to match the frame rate so the problem persists. If I could use Handbrake to directly rip the blu ray I think it might solve the issue, but Handbrake doesn't have the encryption to decode blu rays.

In that case, does anyone know if there is a way to pull just the audio directly without having to transcode code it? Worse case scenario is I rip my DVDs for the audio and suffer with 2 channels instead of 6 but I'd like to avoid the extra work for less quality. It beats having to spend another $200 to buy yet another blu ray reader that is compatible with 50hz/25fps
tenor1411

Post by tenor1411 »

I just had a thought. If I create a decryted ISO from the disc, perhaps then I could use MakeMKV on that.