Getting good quality still images from DVD

Everything related to MakeMKV
Telman

Getting good quality still images from DVD

Post by Telman »

I have a project where I want to embed some still images in a newsletter. I'd like to use some images from a DVD. Can anyone tell me how to best do this using MakeMKV. Many thanks and apologies if this is a very Newbie question.
Theresa_N

Re: Getting good quality still images from DVD

Post by Theresa_N »

Makemkv will not do what you're looking for.
preserve

Post by preserve »

You can play the DVD on your computer and take screenshots with the media player software of your choice, such as http://www.videolan.org or http://www.mpv.io

If you aren't able to take screenshots of the direct DVD playback, you can use MakeMKV to rip the movie and then playback the MKV file, and take screenshots of that.

With DVDs in particular (as opposed to Blu-rays), you may need to pay attention to aspect ratios and the way that different media player software will handle screenshots (raw pixel data versus corrected aspect ratio display, as well as interlacing).
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
Telman

Post by Telman »

Thanks for the ideas! In the end I think I have found a way through handbrake but presumably your warnings will apply.
preserve

Post by preserve »

Not sure why you'd need Handbrake. Both the players I mentioned can take screenshots from MKV files, which would give you the highest quality screenshot. If you're making a file with Handbrake, you're re-encoding and probably compressing the video, which would likely result in screenshots with more compression artifacts.

But I'm glad you found a solution for what you are trying to do! :)
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
Telman

Post by Telman »

I'm an idiot. VLC is the answer of course. Thanks!!