2nd Blu Ray Disc Not Seen by MakeMKV Without Reboot

Everything related to MakeMKV
chane

2nd Blu Ray Disc Not Seen by MakeMKV Without Reboot

Post by chane »

When I plugin my external drive (pawtec) into my Windows 10 laptop, I insert a blu ray disc, open MakeMKV and burn the disc.

When I eject the disc and insert a second disc, error messages are displayed and the only thing I've found that will allow the drive to be seen by MakeMKV is a reboot of the system. Also, the windows explorer sees the disc just fine (at least it mounts it).

Any ideas on what to try. It's pain to have to reboot for every disc.

The error messages are:
Error 'OS error - {Operation Failed} The requested operation was unsuccessful' occurred while reading 'BD-RE hp BD MLT UJ260AF FW06' at offset '524288'
Error 'OS error - {Operation Failed} The requested operation was unsuccessful' occurred while reading 'BD-RE hp BD MLT UJ260AF FW06' at offset '1048576'
Error 'OS error - {Operation Failed} The requested operation was unsuccessful' occurred while reading 'BD-RE hp BD MLT UJ260AF FW06' at offset '32768'
yorgo

Re: 2nd Blu Ray Disc Not Seen by MakeMKV Without Reboot

Post by yorgo »

To be clear, you insert a Blu-Ray disc into your external drive, rip it with MakeMKV (I assume successfully, meaning no errors are displayed, and I assume to the laptop's hard drive, and I assume you're ripping not backing up), eject the disc, insert a blank disc to burn content (I assume that's what you mean by "second disc"), and you see error messages from MakeMKV?

Are you trying to use MakeMKV to burn contents onto a physical BD disc? I'm not aware MakeMKV can do that. Also, I would assume the blank disc would not be recognized by MakeMKV so some kind of error message would make sense.

Lots of assumptions on my part, please clarify.
chane

Post by chane »

Very close.

For the first disc - you are correct. I burn the movie to my laptop's hard drive and no errors are presented. The burned mkv file works great.

For the second disc, I want to do the same as the first disc. Just another disc/movie and that is when I get the errors listed. Reboot and the second disc works just fine (didn't even remove it from the drive).
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Terminology: "Burn" is used when writing to optical media, because the laser "burns" the spots on the disk.

The operation of reading an optical disk and writing the results to a hard drive or flash drive is called "ripping".

In your case, Windows is not acknowledging the ejection of the disk. If it were "just" MakeMKV that was having the issue, shutting down MakeMKV and restarting it would allow the disk to be read.

Do you have any software installed that Windows has as "autoplay" for your BD player?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
chane

Post by chane »

Thanks for clarifying. Yes I was ripping.

I look for software that auto-plays BD. When I put it in, another application doesn't auto open. Any suggestions on how to tell beyond that?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

One thing to try is to unplug the drive, wait until Windows acknowledges that (the BEEdupe sound), then plug it back in again. If this resets the drive so you can read the next disk, that's at least a bit less obnoxious than resetting your computer.

Searching for this problem on Google is a bit difficult - it's like Google is ignoring "disk change" in my keywords so as to get more results, none of which apply to the question. SOME of the pages list answers that involve checking the drive's firmware. Some say to clear certain Windows registry values, while others say doing that is useless.

You might run the question by Pawtec's technical support people, support@pawtec.com . Their FAQ page doesn't cover this question, so asking it directly might get you an answer.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Norman

Post by Norman »

I've had similar problems under Linux, but only with USB-based drives. The drives I have on SATA never have a problem. I experience problems even with DVD drives reading DVDs via USB. My solution was to purchase a cheap DVD drive and add that into my PC.