Increasing ripping speed

Everything related to MakeMKV
kingston12

Increasing ripping speed

Post by kingston12 »

I have recently replaced my Samsung SE-506CB external drive with an LG BE16NU50. I did it to get a UHD friendly drive, but I have also noticed a good increase in the speed for ripping standard Blu-rays. It has gone up from around 2.0x to around 5x.

This has made me wonder what the limiting factor is? I'd never really thought about the speed before, but this drive is supposed to be able to read at upto 16x. It's connected to a 2017 iMac by USB3.0 and the ripping speed seems about the same if I use the internal SSD as the destination or my NAS.

Should I be seeing faster speeds than this?
Last edited by kingston12 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstock

Re: Increasing ripping speed

Post by Woodstock »

Ripping speeds are weird, at best. The max rates listed are for reads of the outer tracks of single-layer disks, which means less than 25GB for BD. Switching to a dual-layer disk seems to knock about 40% off that maximum, from what I'm reading, and quad-layer disks drop down much further.

Best I've seen on a dual-layer BD is about 10 or 12x. I don't have any 3- or 4-layer disks to test on. That's with a drive rated at 16x for BD, direct SATA connection, writing to a fast network.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
kingston12

Post by kingston12 »

Woodstock wrote:Ripping speeds are weird, at best. The max rates listed are for reads of the outer tracks of single-layer disks, which means less than 25GB for BD. Switching to a dual-layer disk seems to knock about 40% off that maximum, from what I'm reading, and quad-layer disks drop down much further.

Best I've seen on a dual-layer BD is about 10 or 12x. I don't have any 3- or 4-layer disks to test on. That's with a drive rated at 16x for BD, direct SATA connection, writing to a fast network.
Thanks for the reply. I actually (briefly) saw 7.5x last night which is the quickest yet for me!

It's not a big problem anyway and the reduction in time taken to rip is welcome as it is.
aaronwt

Post by aaronwt »

I'm seeing slightly faster ripping speeds from my Asus Drives since I removed them from my USB 2.0 enclosures. I had seen up to 30MB/s(240Mb/s) speeds in the USB 2.0 enclosures. But now attached to the SATA ports in a PC I've seen up to 36MB/s (288Mb/s) ripping speeds. But I've still only ripped around a dozen of my UHD BD titles these last couple of weeks.
63TB unRAID1-49TB unRAID2-76TB unRAID3-56TB unRAID4-50TB unRAID5-50TB unRAID6-56TB unRAID7