MakeMkv and Automation

Everything related to MakeMKV
pguillot69

MakeMkv and Automation

Post by pguillot69 »

I think your program is great. It is a wonderful alternative due to Redfox demise.
Just a few requests.

1. Novice Mode - Most people like the Make it easy method like K.I.S.S. Allow people to set it up so all the Settings normally default ARE default.
For example. A person places a disk in his drive. He has to select the drive. Then he has to Click File > Open Disc. A little magic is done. and Presto. A list appears with the choices. The person normally has no clue what is what in the file unless he is not a NOVICE. He then has to fill out a Directory and Name for the file folder so he can search it when finished. Normally the directory is not there but if it is, OK The rest of the magic is done and the person must eject the disc to start over again.

2. Expert Mode - Add little menu in the back allowing you to tweak various times to allow a slow drive or a old drive to settle. Allow adjustment of Spinup time and such. I have had a lot of disc that won't get recognized on one drive but will on an OLD system. Newer BluRay drives and some LG drives have longer settling times and your programs times out before the disc can get up to speed.

My suggestions: In setting. Create a Normal Disc feature. Allow you to set the Single Drive option and allow it to scan the drive all without user interaction. Allow a setting to Select All scanned files and place them in a SemiAuto folder under the base setting for the files. If all the files convert as expected, you post a big congrats and eject the disc. If it doesn't allow the user to drop to expert mode and reselect the files that gave them trouble.
I'm sure your program can tell what the Default Language is and What subtitles it has and to place them according to preference. Allowing for Forced Subtitles on certain shows.

Just a thought. would make me want to buy it. I love the idea that I can rip a Owned DVD to MY liking. With My Language file as default Audio and have Forced Subtitles only for the Klingons. I have seen it a lot. I buy a DVD/BluRay and watch the ton of adverts before the movie. I have to then select the Language and subtitle just to watch the show. If my son tries to watch the show, he gets bored because He is deaf. My nephew gets bored because he is blind.

I speak English, Spanish, a little Dutch and French. I don't speak Chinese, Mandarin, or Russian.
Woodstock

Re: MakeMkv and Automation

Post by Woodstock »

"Just add feature X and I'll buy it!" is a familiar refrain. Often the feature requested is already there, but the person posting didn't know it, since they really weren't interested in actually paying money, and the "missing" feature was justification for not.

As for your "re-write the user interface so it works like I want it to" request, disks are authored in a large variety of ways.

When it comes to languages, you can select a "preferred language" in MakeMKV settings (any other language would be dropped), or write a selection string that would prioritize certain languages. Even then, things go "worng" with certain disks. Like disks where all the audio tracks are tagged as "English", but none of them actually are.

There isn't a reliable way to automate operation for "every disk". I work around that by having MakeMKV rip all audio/subtitle tracks, then figure out what the real story is before handing the file off to handbrake to make a file with just the tracks I want, in the order I want them.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
preserve

Post by preserve »

pguillot69 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:16 pm
Redfox demise.
Um what?
pguillot69 wrote:
1. Novice Mode
2. Expert Mode
MakeMKV already has this in its normal mode vs its Expert Mode. Anyone who is interested in ripping discs to MKV files should have enough general computer savvy to get going using the normal mode, and it's very simple to use. There's no need for a Novice "Dummy" Mode, which would likely trip up more users than it would help.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

pguillot69 wrote:
With My Language file as default Audio and have Forced Subtitles only for the Klingons.
Forced Subs have been discussed to death on this forum, just use the search function.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch