Reducing file size

Everything related to MakeMKV
Lactrodectus

Reducing file size

Post by Lactrodectus »

Hello everyone. I am trying out MakeMKV and seem to have a problem with the output file size, according to the title branch the output file is 32gb. That seems strange and is there anything I can do to reduce the size of the file?
Woodstock

Re: Reducing file size

Post by Woodstock »

Not with MakeMKV, but there are other tools, like handbrake, that can re-encode the video to make it smaller.

What you're seeing is the size of the video on the Bluray. They are big, usually.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
preserve

Post by preserve »

Which is the point of MakeMKV, to losslessly create an MKV of the Blu-ray content.

Note that the total size does include all audio tracks, and you likely won’t want all of them.

As Woodstock mentioned, Handbrake.fr is pretty much the go-to for compressing MKVs.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
Lactrodectus

Post by Lactrodectus »

Okay thanks for that. Second question, how do I start the process by completely clearing all the check boxes without having to sift through the list pressing space to the bottom.

I did simply right click on the outside node and select 'unselect all' but that did not seem to do the trick.

AndRue
preserve

Post by preserve »

Lactrodectus wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:48 pm
I did simply right click on the outside node and select 'unselect all' but that did not seem to do the trick.
Try right clicking in the white background area surrounding the titles, not directly on an individual title.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00