Removing specific audio tracks from MKV file with MakeMKV?

Everything related to MakeMKV
Goldengoose7

Removing specific audio tracks from MKV file with MakeMKV?

Post by Goldengoose7 »

I recently encoded a BD disc that contained an audio track called True Dolby HD which is in the default track position when I call up the movie with Plex. My system can't play this track properly and the video slows down to half speed and the audio is all distorted with digital noise in the audio. The movie is unplayable when this audio track is selected but plays fine if the second AC3 5.1 audio track is selected.

So... My question is, how can I remove this incompatible audio track from the MKV file with MakeMKV? When I try to open the file with MakeMKV the file is grayed out. Short of reencoding the file from the original disc, what can I do to remove this audio track while leaving everything else intact?

I have had issues like this in the past with previous rips and could never figure out how to change the MKV contents without having to re-rip the video from scratch.

Thanks in advance! :)

[]Rick.
Romansh

Re: Removing specific audio tracks from MKV file with MakeMK

Post by Romansh »

Use mkvmerge GUI (part of Mkvtoolnix).
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

For stuff you have already ripped, like Romansh said, use mkvtoolnix to remove the track.

For stuff you haven't ripped, just deselect the HD audio tracks from the selection screen.

SC
Goldengoose7

Post by Goldengoose7 »

Romansh wrote:Use mkvmerge GUI (part of Mkvtoolnix).
Great! Thanks for the tip guys! :) I am aware of how to use MakeMKV to uncheck certain audio tracks before ripping from the original disc, but I was in a hurry and as a result, this one got past me and I didn't discover the problem until well after I had ripped the file. Took me awhile to figure out what was going on to be honest! I have the latest top the of the line Mac Mini Server with plenty of horsepower, so this was the first time I saw any indication of the CPU struggling to play back a movie file.

Anyway... I just installed the latest version of MKVtoolNix for OSX "4.8" on the Mini and it does appear that I can deselect the True Dolby HD audio track that was giving me all the problems! I am running the save right now with that track removed and am keeping my fingers crossed that the edited file plays normally.

Will report back on the results a little later.

Thanks again! MKVtoolNix looks like a great little program to have in your toolbox! :D

Cheers.

UPDATE:

The remuxed file plays perfectly!! :)
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

Another thing you can do is to change the default track from the HD audio track to the secondary audio track. That way you still would have the HD audio track for future use.

Is your mini hooked up via HDMI or do you have the audio connected via the audio out connection? Also, what are you using for playing back the files?

SC