I've lost my bits and I want them back (blu ray music files)

Everything related to MakeMKV
smallpox

I've lost my bits and I want them back (blu ray music files)

Post by smallpox »

My goal is to rip/play back blu ray music files in 96/24 DTS HD 5.1 surround. The MKV files come out as DTS, sample rate of 4800 and a bit rate of 1536 kbs (according to VLC). If it ripped it properly, the bit rate should be 13824 kbs (24*96*6 channels). Instead of 96/24 I am getting 48/5 (bit sampling rate =1536/48/6). Cd's are 44.1/16.

It does not sound bad but I am missing 12288 kbs of info.

The same thing occurred with a 96/24 dolby true hd digital 5.1 surround file (Dark Side of the Moon), I came out as a dolby digital file (ac3) with a bit rate of 640 kbs. It also doesn't sound bad, but it is only slightly better than a highly compressed mp3 file.

I tried to down load the DTS HD .dll as specified in a recent post (Decoding DTS-HD with MakeMkv?). Downloaded the .dll files from the site and pasted them to c:/programs(86)/makemkv with the other .dll's. Could not find the advance tab in view>preferences. It did not rip the file into DTS HD.

It appears as though MKV is converting DTS HD to DTS and Dolby true HD to Dolby digital.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
ndjamena

Re: I've lost my bits and I want them back (blu ray music fi

Post by ndjamena »

By default MakeMKV only rips the core from HD audio since most players can't actually play the HD tracks. You need to select the HD track manually or set the Default Selection rule to do it for you.

Judging by the bitrate you're expecting you want to convert to PCM, but also judging by what you're saying you don't really know what you want or what you're doing.

Your answers are here:
http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... 986#p35986
smallpox

Post by smallpox »

Ndjamena

If you read what I wrote, you would know what I want.
If I knew what I was doing, I would not have posted.

May be a moot point. When I ran Handbrake to separate chapters, the source said I had DTS HD MA.

A post from an AVS forum said that VLC can not play DTS HD MA, which is why it down grades it to DTS. They said to use the XBMC player.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

Use the FLAC profile. VLC can play FLAC.

(DTS-MA is compressed lossless [as is FLAC], it has a much lower bitrate than what you're quoting.)
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

smallpox wrote:My goal is to rip/play back blu ray music files in 96/24 DTS HD 5.1 surround. The MKV files come out as DTS, sample rate of 4800 and a bit rate of 1536 kbs (according to VLC). If it ripped it properly, the bit rate should be 13824 kbs (24*96*6 channels).
smallpox wrote:Ndjamena

If you read what I wrote, you would know what I want.
If I knew what I was doing, I would not have posted.
…and yet you clearly have no idea of the difference between formats such as DTS-HD or TrueHD, and LPCM.