3D MVC Option

Everything related to MakeMKV
sinious

Re: 3D MVC Option

Post by sinious »

Yep that's what I want to do, space happens to be cheap for me. My company did a job for Western Digital and they were so happy with what we made (a video for an internal event) that they gave us one opportunity to buy as much WD stuff as we wanted at cost, so of the stuff I got, I grabbed 3 WD Sentinel DX4000s (12TB each) for a total of 36TB. I can't even say what I spent on them (just like sites can't advertise a price below MSRP) and you need to add the item to cart to see the price (annoying but legally necessary sometimes). But it's around the price of a single unit. Had to do it while I had the chance. And I can't even come close to filling up one of these things so far haha. So I have one just backing up the other and one doing nothing.

I will be filling it faster now though. I upgraded to the GeForce GTX 980 with 2048 Maxwell CUDA cores. I used a 3rd party NVENC SDK programmed encoder to export to MP4 H.264 and MPEG2 Blu-ray. The CUDA cores literally increased my encoding speed by 20x. No BS. On one small video (3min 20s) that I've been creating at work I have encoded about 40 times to demonstrate client changes. It used to take 10 minutes to compress it to 1920x1080p@24 down from lossless (2.4GB) to 70MB MP4 H.264 for approvals. Now I can encode a high quality (200MB) and low quality (70MB) MP4 concurrently in 55 seconds using CUDA cores.

So I'll be doing a lot more encoding of my disc collections haha. I highly recommend Maxwell CUDA!
docchris

Post by docchris »

the WD boxes are very cute, i did look at them, but couldnt justify the retail prices

i've got two 12-bay Synology units, and an 8-bay drobo
sinious

Post by sinious »

I can't either, it's not like it's an ideal RAID configuration but I do get very usable speed off them. Since my disks are all either stroked, in RAID or SSD and my ethernet setup is teamed the NAS is not nearly the speed I would like (they're not teamed like my HTPC is). Copying to/from SSD->SSD teamed is about 160-200MB/s. The NAS is only around 80MB-120MB/s with random bursts.

Not the fastest but it's a black hole worth of space that I regularly dump hundreds of gigs of uncompressed video on. It's great because I can create fully rendered portions of complex video projects which Adobe After Effects and Premiere knows to use instead of processing the effects every single time I make a change to a video. My preview speed is through the roof, rendering 240FPS or faster.

I use Maxon Cinema 4D Lite which integrates directly with Adobe After Effects. It's what I use to generate my own stereoscopic video with (that I can't figure out how to embed the damn EDID on haha).
sinious

Post by sinious »

*160MB-300MB/s not 200MB. Only 300MB/s obviously on SSD or stroked RAID with a nice sequential read.
Batiatus

Post by Batiatus »

So does anyone have any contact with the Stereoscopic guys? I'd just like to know if they are working on 2 things; Chapter support for MKV and identifying force sub tags in the metadata so I don't have to turn it on myself. Those 2 things are the last I feel should be included in any media player but they still aren't supported. I'd think at least the chapter support shouldn't be that difficult to implement.
wonderer

Post by wonderer »

Hey everyone. I am hoping someone may be able to help with this issue I have. I have searched but cannot see a solution. I have ripped my entire blu ray collection to my computer and have the ISO files which I have been trying to create 3D MVC files to play via USB HDD through my Lg 3D blu ray home theatre system. When the MKV files are created however they do not play properley through my setup. There is no picture although the sound plays fine. I dont know if this is an issue with the MKV creating process with Makemkv or the systems playback. The system plays mkvs fine so it is just the 3d MVC MKV files created with this software which have an issue.

Any advice would be most apreciated as my only other option would be to use DVDFAB to create sbs files and I do not want to lose the quality.
Batiatus

Post by Batiatus »

I'm going to say that unless your player states is can play MVC MK3 then that is your issue. Thus far only a few media players can playback MVC MK3, that I've heard of anyways.
jhoff80

Post by jhoff80 »

So after a ton of troubleshooting over the last few months, last night while ripping Thor The Dark World, I finally discovered what my issue was with Stereoscopic Player and subtitles in Avatar.

...At one point prior to Stereoscopic Player's PGS support, I apparently muxed out the PGS track and muxed in an SSA subtitle file. :oops:

I reripped Avatar with the PGS subtitles (forced only), and of course subs worked. The only issue now is that a few of the English lines are showing with subtitles as well, not sure if that's a disc mastering issue or a MakeMKV issue.

(Also, it'd be nice if Stereoscopic Player supported the 'forced' MKV flag for subtitles and turned them on automatically, but that's a whole other story.)
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

jhoff80 wrote:The only issue now is that a few of the English lines are showing with subtitles as well, not sure if that's a disc mastering issue or a MakeMKV issue.
A MakeMKV workaround for the case where the forced subtitles are part of a complete subtitle track, flagged as forced, but are followed by a non-forced subtitle rather than a "clear display" subtitle. In order to properly clear the display, MakeMKV includes all non-forced subtitle packets following a forced packet, until a "clear display" packet is encountered.
superx

Post by superx »

Using Stereoscopic player and a nvidia card has anyone had success. I can not seem to get it to work.

I have a 3d projector and would like to send it frame packed. When I do that I still get side by side, when I select 3d vision. Or is this a limitation of the trial.

Thanks.
mrklaw

Post by mrklaw »

Hi,

Just trying this out for the first time, looking to make side by side mkvs for my 3D blurays, for playback through plex. I tried backing up the entire disc using makemkv, and then opening that in BDtoAVCHD, but it isn't picking up that it is a 3D bluray. I've checked the folder that was backed up and it has an SSIF folder in the stream folder so I don't know why it isn't being picked up. I have 'decrypt video files' checked.

Also tried just doing a single title, making sure to select the MVC extension too - the resulting file was about 35GB. Still wouldn't work in BDtoAVCHD.

Anyone with experience using both tools together can give me any pointers?
saintsfanfl

Post by saintsfanfl »

I am about to go insane! I am late to the party on 3D. I am using Stereoscopic Player output to a 2014 LG 3DTV. I am playing an Avatar 3d MKV that was converted from an iso. The file info reads correct and Stereoscopic appears to see the file as dual stream. But it's not in 3D and the tv is not detecting that it's 3D. I have looked everywhere and tried everything but I have to be doing something wrong.

Help!!!
THX-UltraII

Post by THX-UltraII »

Sorry for double posting but it seems that this topic is the one where the knowledge about my problem is.

I own a passive 3D setup by Infitec. The Infitec system is a dual 1080P projector setup. It is a passive 3D Dual Projector solution. What I want is to play 3D movies that are NOT .iso. I know that .iso is the best quality solution (full blu-ray 3D) but I want to be able to play my 3D movies on the non-commercial 3D software player Media Player Classic - Home Cinema. (If you want the reason why I want to play my 3D movies on MPC-HC: MPC-HC can use madVR as output renderer and madVR can read 3DLUT files). The problem is that MPC-HC does not support frame-packed 3D .iso. So I was wondering if makeMKV is a way to rip my 3D .iso's to a format that is supported by MPC-HC + madVR wihout losing ANY resolution/quality.
THX-UltraII

Post by THX-UltraII »

Guys, anyone knows if Stereoscopic Player has a decent topic or forum out there somewhere? I just found out that when I go to the settings of Stereoscopic Player I can use madVR as video decoder but I want to know more about this ecspecially if the .3dlut option will then work.
crizo

Post by crizo »

I've had pretty much no luck getting ripped mvc-3d files to play in either PowerDvd 14 or Stereoscopic.

I can't find any kind of Stereoscopic support, so thought I'd try here. I have an mvc-3d mkv file ripped from makemkv. I'm outputting this through HDMI 1.4 to a new sony projector(supports frame packing, over/under and side-by-side). I'm not sure what to set my "viewing method" to in Stereoscopic. My computer has a Radeon HD 7700 series graphics card. Is the "source" viewing method the same as frame packing? Or is the "viewing method" not used when using frame packed? The Stereoscopic settings thoroughly confuse me.

Lastly, I was able to get Epic 3D working in Stereoscopic, but the quality was sub-par. I mean, the 3d effects were present, but the image was "soft". Perhaps this is just an issue with Stereoscopic? I'm running this on a 120" projection screen, so every detail is noticeable. I'm curious if Stereoscopic is considered a "good player", or is it popular simply because it's the only choice out there for 3d-mkv?