Registration

Everything related to MakeMKV
wl.boer

Registration

Post by wl.boer »

I am new to the forum but not new to MKV. I have used it for several years without paying a cent or penny depending on which corner of the planet you live. I would like to contribute but I find the price extremely over the top.I am sure there are many more whom feel the same way. If the purchase price was a bit more realistic like in the $25-$30 USD I am sure that there will be many more takers and less freeloaders like myself.
In the meantime I keep using it with a pinch of guilt doing so. http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/posting.php?mode=post&f=1#
Woodstock

Re: Registration

Post by Woodstock »

Differing opinions, based upon need.

My collection of DVDs and BDs currently fills almost 20 Banker Box storage boxes (need to buy some more), so USD50 was fair. Having a relatively hassle-free way to re-rip a 69-disk series (not to mention the smaller sets put out by the same publisher) because I'd figured out a better way to have Handbrake deal with the subtitle situation is worth something to me. It actually would be worth the higher price that people outside the US pay.

But my needs may be totally different from yours. Someone who rips 10 disks per month is not going to put the same value on the tool as someone who rips 10-15 at a single sitting.

Buying a license means you don't have to worry about the beta version you're running expiring on a certain date. You don't have to worry about the ability to decode Bluray shutting off after 30 days, until the next beta is released.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
wl.boer

Post by wl.boer »

That's one way of looking at it. My reasoning is that whatever you buy, whether it is a car or a hammer the price is the same. How often one use it has got nothing to do with the purchase price. The cost of manufacturing plus profit margin determine the sales price. The supermarkets work on the principle, lower sales price will eventually result in a higher volume. Of course I am not to know what the cost are maintaining and improving MKV , it just seems a bit over the top compared to similar programs. I do use MKV on a almost daily bases and ripped about 700 dvd's so far and counting (all legal). Maybe I do have a change of heart if I get stuck in my 150 or so bluray 3d collection.
Cheers.
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

When you buy a car, is it repaired for free by the manufacturer? MakeMKV is supported by users purchasing a lifetime license, so that if a new protection scheme comes out, MakeMKV is updated.

When you buy food at the store does it last forever? My one time purchase of MakeMKV will provide me with MakeMKV until Mike stops making it, quite unlike that food that you bought and could only eat/drink once.

Mike develops and has to continue to work on MakeMKV because copy protection schemes are not stagnate and they are updated. If MakeMKV was not updated then it wouldn't work with new Blurays, which wouldn't be very useful.

Mike might get a higher volume of people paying for MakeMKV if he drops the price, or he might continue to get people telling him that it's too expensive, and that he should drop the price. I'd venture to guess it would be that people would still complain that it's too expensive for something so trivial.

SC