[REQUEST] HD Audio cover to FLAC support

Everything related to MakeMKV
NomadCF

[REQUEST] HD Audio cover to FLAC support

Post by NomadCF »

in keeping with the notion of MakeMKV being a "perfect" 1 to 1 rip. I think adding in the option to have all HD audio (DTS-HD MA/HR, PCM, LMPC, TrueHD) converted and compressed to FLAC would have every one alot of disk space.
ragboy

Re: [REQUEST] HD Audio cover to FLAC support

Post by ragboy »

Take a look at what you would have to do to do that. The only thing that I know that decoded DTS-HD audio is eac3to which can only be done with a specific installation of Arcsoft TotalTheatre. This could probably be done with AC3, and TrueHD, and PCM since ffmpeg supports it, but not DTS-HD for quite some time I would guess.

Also, there are lots of good discussions on the doom9 eac3to forums about methods of decoding and converting THD and DTS-HD, and which produce the best results.

The good news is that you can easily create a script to do what you wanted to do with eac3to and mkvtoolnix. My own project, I take a MKV from makemkv, encode the video using handbrake to 1080 HP h.264 @ 18% CRF, which is super high quality, but most movies still saves a good deal of space, then convert the highest quality audio in the MKV to a super high quality multi-channel AAC track using NeroAACEncoder. I also convert any commentary tracks to AAC, and any forced subs to SRT. I then build an MP4 (with ratings, description, and cover art) with these tracks that plays perfectly on my PS3 in my home theater, and I can switch audio to listen to commentary, and these files are perfectly compatible with iTunes. The only issue is subtitles on the PS3, but I am working with a WDLIVETV to resolve that.
NomadCF

Post by NomadCF »

The good news is that you can easily create a script to do what you wanted to do with eac3to and mkvtoolnix

Yep, I know I already do. Except I convert them to MP4 or TS files (container) for a more flexible playback (Flexible in the sense that more players support them).
My own project, I take ...
Save your self some time and just use a All in one like XVID4PSP.
Take a look at what you would have to do to do that. The only thing that I know that decoded DTS-HD audio is eac3to which can only be done with a specific installation of Arcsoft TotalTheatre.
Agreed, and I have bought it. Or really I bought a bundle pack from them. I contacted support who got me with a guy from sales. Told them what I was looking to do. And they sold me basicly a codex. No player or such, just all the DLL and A(xx) files. IT was only like $30 with tax.

But Like I said I already do all of this, and allot more already. So I figured, if I find it useful I might as well post it as a request here because others might too.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

NomadCF wrote:in keeping with the notion of MakeMKV being a "perfect" 1 to 1 rip. I think adding in the option to have all HD audio (DTS-HD MA/HR, PCM, LMPC, TrueHD) converted and compressed to FLAC would have every one alot of disk space.
Planned and coming in some future.