Frustrated trying to rip.

Everything related to MakeMKV
Drivinfast247

Frustrated trying to rip.

Post by Drivinfast247 »

Here is what I'm working with. Windows 10 in a fresh build.Brand new everything. MakeMKV 1.14.2 and a new UHD friendly drive = WH14NS40 w/1.02(bought from forum member). Connected via SATA to motherboard.

I've been trying to rip my 4k collection for the last 24 hours and only been successful on a few titles. I get a number of different errors that result in a failed rip. These errors are "HashCheck Error", The source file is corrupt or invalid at offset...., LIBMKV_TRACE: Exception: Error while reading input. When I get hash check errors I get a BUNCH of them and then the rip fails.

Discs that have failed - Thor: Ragnarock, Transformers: The Last Knight, San Andreas and Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol.2. I tried each of these multiple times without luck.

Discs that have been successful - Logan(took 2.5 hours for 38.9GB main title and 7.1 audio track), Deepwater Horizon and Hacksaw Ridge.

All discs for the most part open without issue and I am able to select main title and audio track. Sometimes they fail quickly, other times its after almost an hour of ripping.

All discs are in EXCELLENT condition. NO smudges, "haze" or scratches.

Also tried older 1.12.2 and 1.12.3 versions with latest hashes and same issues. Is this a bad drive or something else.
BlueMac77

Re: Frustrated trying to rip.

Post by BlueMac77 »

Drivinfast247 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:13 pm
All discs for the most part open without issue and I am able to select main title and audio track. Sometimes they fail quickly, other times its after almost an hour of ripping.

Also tried older 1.12.2 and 1.12.3 versions with latest hashes and same issues. Is this a bad drive or something else.
Sorry to hear about your problems with ripping UHD discs. Maybe you can try to post the error messages you’re getting and if you’re using a laptop or desktop so the moderators/experts can check and suggest possible solutions. And if you’re using a SATA/USB adapter. A friend of mine had ripping problems using an external LG drive. After some troubleshooting and testing on other equipments, he found out the USB port of the external enclosure was defective as it was “grounded”. His errors were random, sometimes the disc ripped fine and sometimes there were errors. He purchased another optical drive external enclosure and this resolved the problem.
Drivinfast247

Post by Drivinfast247 »

BlueMac77 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:16 pm
Drivinfast247 wrote:

Sorry to hear about your problems with ripping UHD discs. Maybe you can try to post the error messages you’re getting and if you’re using a laptop or desktop so the moderators/experts can check and suggest possible solutions. And if you’re using a SATA/USB adapter. A friend of mine had ripping problems using an external LG drive. After some troubleshooting and testing on other equipments, he found out the USB port of the external enclosure was defective as it was “grounded”. His errors were random, sometimes the disc ripped fine and sometimes there were errors. He purchased another optical drive external enclosure and this resolved the problem.
It is installed in a PC case and connected directly to motherboard via SATA cable. I have also tried DVDFab and got "Disc Read Errors" on every disc I tried.

Here's the funny part, I can rip standard non-4k Blu-Rays without issue.

The member I bought it from has been very helpful and offered to exchange it for a new one. I don't want it to be a user error and cause him grief.
spl147

Post by spl147 »

Drivinfast247 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:15 pm
BlueMac77 wrote:
Drivinfast247 wrote:

It is installed in a PC case and connected directly to motherboard via SATA cable. I have also tried DVDFab and got "Disc Read Errors" on every disc I tried.

The member I bought it from has been very helpful and offered to exchange it for a new one. I don't want it to be a user error and cause him grief.
even a perfect looking 4K disc can be dirty! clean again!

30-45 min. is perfectly normal for a 4K disc to rip @ 8x

what drive and firmware are you using.
Drivinfast247

Post by Drivinfast247 »

spl147 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:43 pm
Drivinfast247 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:15 pm
BlueMac77 wrote:

even a perfect looking 4K disc can be dirty! clean again!

30-45 min. is perfectly normal for a 4K disc to rip @ 8x

what drive and firmware are you using.
I ended up returning to seller and he shipped me a new one. So far it's working perfectly. I will say I have never seen 8x while ripping 4k. Regular Blu-Ray it gets up there in speed though.

This drive and the last are WH14NS40 w/1.02 firmware