Anyone using Pioner BDR-205 and getting slow speeds?

Everything related to MakeMKV
bdfan123

Anyone using Pioner BDR-205 and getting slow speeds?

Post by bdfan123 »

Hi all,

The first time I used MakeMKV it was with a Pioneer BDC-S02BK BD-ROM drive. Ripping was a solid 2x, the maximum the drive can do.
As it would take too long to back up my movies at that speed, I went and bought a Pioneer BDR-205BK.

This is an 8x drive however when I try and backup a movie it sits around 2.9x for the length of the rip. I'm wondering if I have a faulty drive.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there any issue with my drive? I've seen comments from other people ripping at 8x (http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3142 ... ray-movies) so it should be possible.

I've tried the drive in my desktop connected via SATA directly and also connected to a laptop via a SATA to USB converter.

Thanks for any advice.

P.S. Currently using Windows 7 32-bit and the speed is slow with both versions of MakeMKV that I have tried (1.4.12 and 1.5).
setarip_old

Re: Anyone using Pioner BDR-205 and getting slow speeds?

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!
Ripping was a solid 2x, the maximum the drive can do.

Many drives are shipped in what is known as "riplock" mode, which limits ripping speed to 2x. Perform a Googlesearch for Pioneer BDR-205BK + riplock. With a little luck, you'll find a site offering a firmware update for your Pioneer that will override the "riplock"...
bdfan123

Post by bdfan123 »

Thanks... although my understanding is that Pioneer drives aren't riplocked :(. Haven't had much luck with google.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

You might also want to check the Pioneer website for any official firmware updates for your specific drive...
iPond317

Post by iPond317 »

I have been getting this issue on a lot of Blu-Rays. I have a Pioneer BDC-202 with firmware v1.07 and the last few movies I've tried ripping slow down terribly and I get the error 'program reads data faster than it can write...' The discs that are erroring out will start fine about 8Mb/s and decrease to less than 1Mb/s then give a fatal error and quit the program. I'm at work so I can't post the error log. But I've been getting these errors (decryption works fine) on Sleepy Hollow, Snatch, and Domino. I'll have to try these again with 1.5.2 since it was just posted.
gremlin190

Post by gremlin190 »

I too am having slow rip speeds with my Pioneer. These drives are supposedly not riplocked and when using DVDfab, I get speeds of up to 29MB/s. I'm using the latest firmware and have a quad core pc with raid0 ssd hard drives. My cpu is never pegged out either. TIA
willdiddy

Post by willdiddy »

I get a max of 3.1x with my bdr205 drive. I dont have the slightest clue on how to get it to rip faster.
Krobar

Post by Krobar »

Some Pioneers firmwares can be riplock patched with this:
http://ala42.cdfreaks.com/MCSE/