New User With Questions

Everything related to MakeMKV
Spartacus

New User With Questions

Post by Spartacus »

Just trying out MakeMKV for the first time. I have already ripped a number of BluRays to ISO and want to put the collection on a diet because there's always a boatload of stuff in a disk that I don't want. For example, all I would want is the main movie from start to finish. I never watch interviews or bonus features, so none of that is important. My main concern is maximum audio and video quality.

Thus far, all my ISOs have been ripped using SlySoft's AnyDVDHD. When loading the file in MakeMKV there's a warning about possible problems, but so far it seems everything is turning out alright.. Should I be worried? Is there something going on in the background that's causing a degradation of quality or incompatibility that I ought to be aware of? I would like to continue using AnyDVDHD to unprotect the file so that if I wish to convert a file back to BluRay media, it will still function in my console.

Because I'm not familiar with the structure of BluRays, trying to extract some tracks is a bit confusing because of the many titles that are present. For example, the Star Wars collection comes to mind. It took me four tries before I got the whole thing together to include the scrolling intro. Very confusing. Is there a way to tell what title is what so we know what the result will be prior to the process? Perhaps some 'preview' of some sort?

Lastly, because MakeMKV is working so well for me thus far, what would you suggest is a reasonable donation to make? Please don't say "it's up to you", I'm aware of that. I'm just curious to know what the 'average' or 'recommended' contribution is, should I decide to stay with the software.

Thanks in advance!
Woodstock

Re: New User With Questions

Post by Woodstock »

Some versions of AnyDVD are known to create "bad ISO files", which is why MakeMKV warns about it when it sees the "signature" of a file processed by AnyDVD. If it works, fine... If it doesn't, ripping with MakeMKV directly from the original media usually fixes the problem.

Multiple titles on disks is an ever-increasing problem. Usually with Disney titles, there will be 3, and the difference between them will be the titles and credits are in a particular language. Other publishers can put as many as several HUNDRED false titles on a disk, constructed out of individual scenes. Reliable methods for those disks can be a problem, because they may also change which title is "correct" for different distributors, so that an Amazon-purchaed disk has a different correct title than one purchased at Target or Walmart.

There is no "donation" for MakeMKV, there is "purchasing a license". The price varies with your country, but the US price is US$50. In the help menu, there is a "Purchase" option, that will take you to /buy/ when/if you decide to do it. Buying a license gets you a non-expiring access key, so you don't have to replace the key every couple of months.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Spartacus

Re: New User With Questions

Post by Spartacus »

Woodstock wrote:Some versions of AnyDVD are known to create "bad ISO files".
Understood. Thanks for that explanation. So far, so good.
Woodstock wrote:Multiple titles on disks is an ever-increasing problem.
Tell me about it. Been pulling my hair out trying to make sense of it all.
Woodstock wrote:There is no "donation" for MakeMKV, there is "purchasing a license".
Didn't see that. Totally reasonable. I've spent a lot more and gotten a lot less over the years.