Odd Audio Behavior

Everything related to MakeMKV
Spartacus

Odd Audio Behavior

Post by Spartacus »

I'm not even sure what search terms to use for this, so I'm just creating a new post and hope I don't get burned at the stake in the village square.

I've been using MakeMKV for only a couple days, and have converted about 10 files from BluRay ISOs so far. For the most part, I let the software make its own selection, and then I go back to deselect the chapters I won't need that contain stuff like interviews and so on, to get only the main feature.

There are two things that are strange.

1) I must almost always have to go back and manually select the higher quality main (TrueHD) audio track. Is there a reason why this isn't being selected automatically? Perhaps I missed a default setting somewhere?

2) Of the files I have converted, when playing them on my Windows 10 machine, all of them have no audio when using the default Windows 10 ('metro') player or the 'regular' Windows Media Player but for a few. Only a couple of them (American Sniper and the Godfather series0 have audio when played this way. No problems at all when using Kodi - everything works great. I'm just curious as to why. Did I somehow miss some needed audio track in the selection process?

Thanks in advance!
ndjamena

Re: Odd Audio Behavior

Post by ndjamena »

Just so I don't have to write it again so soon:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10886

Most Blu Rays use DTS-MA, so any files you'd have ripped from them would contain a DTS core. The movies you mentioned were all TrueHD, so they'd have AC-3 cores instead. Apparently you have a compatible AC-3 codec installed on your computer, but not a DTS one.
Spartacus

Re: Odd Audio Behavior

Post by Spartacus »

ndjamena wrote:Just so I don't have to write it again so soon:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10886

Most Blu Rays use DTS-MA, so any files you'd have ripped from them would contain a DTS core. The movies you mentioned were all TrueHD, so they'd have AC-3 cores instead. Apparently you have a compatible AC-3 codec installed on your computer, but not a DTS one.
Boom.

Thanks!