DVD (multi angle) > MKV (multi angle) !?

Everything related to MakeMKV
estugarda

DVD (multi angle) > MKV (multi angle) !?

Post by estugarda »

I wonder if your powerful little tool can rip DVDs with multiple angles to MKV containers with multiple angles (maybe as separate video tracks)?

Also did you consider making a tool for ripping DVD menus?
mike admin

Re: DVD (multi angle) > MKV (multi angle) !?

Post by mike admin »

estugarda wrote:I wonder if your powerful little tool can rip DVDs with multiple angles to MKV containers with multiple angles (maybe as separate video tracks)?

Also did you consider making a tool for ripping DVD menus?
Currently the tool always selects angle 0.

There is no "good" way to put multiple angles into MKV. Copying multiple angles to multiple video tracks will bloat mkv file too much (on DVD identical video is stored once). There were plans to produce multiple MKV files per angle, but for now it is just angle zero. There are not many disks that have "interesting" multi-angle tracks.
estugarda

Post by estugarda »

Thanks...
gmc

Post by gmc »

Actually can I add something to this.

I have been ripping my Dr Who DVDs to mkv files and many of the BBC DVDs have had some of the old effects replaced with CGI ones.

Using makemkv will not allow me to select the version with the CGI ones; I have had to use a different program tmpGen Xpress which gives me the option of selecting angle1 (original) or angle2 (new CGI) for each episode.

I agree there aren't many useful multi angle DVDs out there per se but when they are used like on the BBC ones they are for this purpose this is a facility that you need to think about adding.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

gmc wrote:Actually can I add something to this.

I have been ripping my Dr Who DVDs to mkv files and many of the BBC DVDs have had some of the old effects replaced with CGI ones.

Using makemkv will not allow me to select the version with the CGI ones; I have had to use a different program tmpGen Xpress which gives me the option of selecting angle1 (original) or angle2 (new CGI) for each episode.

I agree there aren't many useful multi angle DVDs out there per se but when they are used like on the BBC ones they are for this purpose this is a facility that you need to think about adding.
Well, the angle 0 is a current limitation. Future versions should allow you to choose an angle, but it would be still a single angle per MKV. And thanks for the feedback!
gmc

Post by gmc »

Thanks - in fact that is all I would want; the ability to choose one angle to output.
mike admin

Re:

Post by mike admin »

gmc wrote:Thanks - in fact that is all I would want; the ability to choose one angle to output.
MakeMKV supports multi-angle DVDs starting from version 1.2 . Please download the latest version - it should work now.
Sabine

Post by Sabine »

Mike,

as I read in the Matroska forum it supports cues for video tracks in the specifications - I did no verification so far. This would be a way to support multi angle without blowing up the mkvs too much as like on the dvds double parts would be reused.

This would also be an outstanding new feature, because no other tool supports this so far - not even a player - according to the posts in the forum. Maybe a feature that could help the marketing and at least one, that I would like to see ;)

Sabine
JDub8

Post by JDub8 »

I am *not* claiming ive seen it before. But I did have a fightclub rip that had two angles in it and when I played it back MPC-HC + CCCP I could select either one. I didnt notice the length of the movie changing when going between angles and couldnt be bothered to watch two versions side by side waiting for differences but I did wonder if it was some kind of directors cut or special effects changed versioning.

At least with CCCP and MPC-HC installed there seems to be a way to select two versions of a movie? Again it could have just been a bug in encoding but it gave me hope =).

From what ERQ said here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146473 it sounds like it should be possible, but maybe needs someone intimately familiar with the spec to go through what the encoder/decoder is doing to make sure timecodes sync up correctly.