[Feature Request] Easy stream extract

Everything related to MakeMKV
alehel

[Feature Request] Easy stream extract

Post by alehel »

I often find myself in situations where I need to demux the mkv files that I make using MakeMKV. In fact. I pretty much always have to do so. The reason for this is that I need to extract the PGS subtitles from the mkv file. At the moment though, I'm having a hell of a time actually achieving this. Not a single program I've used has been able to extract the PGS files from my mkv files. I've tried most of the ones that are discussed here.

Basicly what I was wondering is if the developers could add a function to MakeMKV where you can right click on something in MakeMKV and you will get a menue option o extract ONLY that stream without putting it in an MKV file. Basicly I would like to be able to right click on the subtitile track in MakeMKV and click "Extract PGS" so that I'm left with only the PGS file. I don't expect MakeMKV to convert the PGS file to srt or anything like that. I just want MakeMKV to be able to extract individual streams. For example, you could have the ability to right click an audio stream and then select the option to only extract that. I'm sure lots of people would find these things useful.

The reason I want this is because I live in Norway. I hate using subtitiles on films, but some of my friends need it for english language films. I therefore want to be able to easily extract the PGS files from my blu-ray disks so that I can then convert it to srt and include it when converting in HandBrake. I am aware of places such as opensubtitles that lets me download srt files, but I have several films where the timecodes for the subtitiles don't match well with the film, and for some of my films there aren't any Norwegian subtitiles available.

I love MakeMKV and I hope to se it grow and mature. I was stupid enough to actually pay money for an inferiour program called Mac Blurayripper Pro. If anyone is concidering it, don't. MakeMKV does everything it can and more. I would much rather purchase MakeMKV when it's released.
setarip_old

Re: [Feature Request] Easy stream extract

Post by setarip_old »

Although I don't know what Mike's position is/will be on the item you've requested, I'd suggest that, in the meantime you should try the recently arrived and extremely easy-to-use, non-buggy "MKVCleaver". I've used it many times for exactly the purpose you've stated and it's a "piece of cake"...
alehel

Post by alehel »

My problem was that I couldn't find software to do this on the Mac. i'm happy to say though that the newest version of mkvtoolnix is easy to install on the Mac and is capable of extracting PGS files and store them as sup. Now I just need to figure out some way of converting them to srt.

Does anyone know of some way I can convert them to srt without using windows software. I only have a Mac and so I'm not really interested in spending money on a windows license for the sake of this.
tony55

Post by tony55 »

I went to VideoHelp.com and looked thru the tools section of the forum under the subcatagory subtitles. The only program out of 40 that was listed as working with the Mac was Jubler. I tried to load a SUP and it would not take it.
Maybe you might try googling Mac subtitles. There are lots of sites that list software by types CNET is one of them.
To my knowledge, not much video software is Mac friendly.

MakeMKV is an exception to that.

tony
alehel

Post by alehel »

I've always thought of the Mac as superior to other platforms when it came to media, but now that I've started with blu-ray ripping and converting between formats, I've realized that, at least for this kind of stuff, windows really does have the advantage.

Maybe as blu-ray becomes more popular, someone will develope a Mac program for doing OCR on subtitles.
skittle

Post by skittle »

Hi, MKVcleaver is just a batch frontend to mkvextract. mkvextract is part of the mkvtoolnix tools. it is open source and cross platform.
look here: http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoo ... loads.html
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoo ... tract.html

mkvextract will not have a fancy gui, but it will do what you want :D
alehel

Post by alehel »

At the moment I'm making due without subtitiles on my Apple TV. I am however extracting the subtitiles from the mkv using mkvextract and storing them in the same folder as the film so that i can start working on them when (or if) a pgs -> converter ever becomes available on the Mac. This means that I can delete the mkv file and only use storage space on the finished m4v. I can always use Subler, a great Mac program by the way, to add the subtitles at a later time.

incidently, Subler is an excellent open source Mac program. It lets you easily add stuff to your mp4 files such as subtitile tracks, chapter information and metadata. It can even connect to the internet, download full metadata information such as age restriction, actors, directors, find movie poster, etc, so the file looks just like something from the iTunes store. Only difference is that your file will have a better quality picture :D.
Claudio

Post by Claudio »

alehel wrote: Only difference is that your file will have a better quality picture :D.
How do you figure?
skittle

Post by skittle »

he means your rip will have better quality than what you can buy from itunes