The times they are achangin' - UPDATE

Everything related to MakeMKV
setarip_old

The times they are achangin' - UPDATE

Post by setarip_old »

This is an update to my observations in an earlier post (included below for convenience):

While touring and/or participating in other forums recently, I couldn't help but notice that Slysoft folks are becoming somewhat defensive - with regard to MakeMKV and DVDFab and DVDFab's "Passkey" (Two separate programs).

If I were in their position, instead of trying to demean the newly arrived BluRay competition, I'd offer users something that MakeMKV, DVDFab, and DVD95 already offer - a FREE version of my DVD ripper.

There are many ways to compete, while actually benefitting us, the users!

If you wonder why I feel comfortable posting this suggestion to Slysoft at the MakeMKV forum, it's because I know that "mike admin" will continue to add new, "Gee, I never thought of that" enhancements to MakeMKV - and garner a growing share of the market as a result ;>}

(OffTopic, I know - but important enough to share) I was recently surfing some forums and couldn't help but notice that our friends at SlySoft now realize (to paraphrase the XFiles movie) "They are not alone".

In a thread filled with what is essentially fanboy "Ours is better than theirs" postings, the range of criticisms regarding the recently released "DVDFab Passkey" (a competitor of both AnyDVDHD and, in a limited way to MakeMKV) runs the gamut from, "It's an exact duplicate of AnyDVDHD" to, "It doesn't work", to "Fengtao gets his codes from Doom9" to, "They'll charge lots of money" (Pot calling the kettle black) to, "I don't like the way they run their forum" to, believe this one or not, by a SlySoft forum moderator, no less, "I believe the publishers of MakeMKV and and DVDFab Passkey are working together" - I haven't yet stopped laughing about that one ;>}

Feel free to read the entire thread at:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=38830

As I said in a post at the Doom9 forum a couple of years ago, from a businessman's perspective, SlySoft has had a monopoly regarding BluRay copying/decrypting and, as such, they've been smart enough and entitled to "make hay while the sun shines" (And they've certainly played that for all it was worth!)

Based on recent events, as well as those to come in the near future,I'd suggest that those days are drawing to a close:

MakeMKV's development continues - and when it receives its fair share of notoriety (equivalent to free advertising), it will be recognized for being both a real player in the BluRay copying arena, the first "one-click' converter to MKV, the originator of streaming video without initially decrypting it, and so much more.

"Fengtao", a tenacious (to be gracious) businessman, is not going to disappear, regardless of what the folks at SlySoft and their forum would hope.

I would forecast that, unless SlySoft comes out with a brand new whizbang product, the "gravy train" will gradually grind to a halt

dirio49

Re: The times they are achangin' - UPDATE

Post by dirio49 »

I really missed where the update was.
It seems to me like a dupe post.
Later.
Danger

Post by Danger »

dirio49 wrote:I really missed where the update was.
It seems to me like a dupe post.
Later.
I've come to the summarization that he's just a troll.
peervh

Post by peervh »

@setarip_old

:)
you have to ease up a little. There are SlySoft fanboys over at our forum (anyone else surprised?) just as there are Fab votaries over at his and MakeMKV supporters here.
You'll find the exact same tirades you were quoting just the other way around on the other forums - so what, big deal. Quite obviously you have your own bias, point proven.

Our sales are going well as always, nobody is worried and frankly - nobody seems to take all this as serious as you seem to think.
I never could really understand why you are so extremely uptight with your anti-SlySoft agenda, but also I'm just focusing on the humorous side of it (it's cute in a way ;) ).

I personally respect FengTao and Mike Chen, who is doing a very good job. We're in loose contact and I can assure you - everybody is easy, everything is shiny and we're all holding hands and dancing and singing.
Don't be so sinister, enjoy life a bit more.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Peer

Here is a very sincere response to what I presume is a sincere post by you:
Quite obviously you have your own bias
The biases I have regarding this particular software arena are simply regarding the business competition aspect and the user aspect:

You may remember that quite some time ago, when, at the Doom9 forum, one of the moderators was railing against Slysoft for having converted its pricing to Euros and, thereby effectively doubling the prices for its products, it was I who made two postings related to that issue:

1) When you responded, you were introduced as a "software engineer". I suggested to you that, since your background was likely not in the financial area at Slysoft, you'd likely be better off not trying to explain that aspect of the decisionmaking process. Both you and the same moderator (as the kids used to say) got all over my case, apparently wrongly thinking my suggestion was actually an insult to you.

2) I also posted a fairly long, simplified explanation in layman's terms of the overwhelming advantage(s) of a company having a monopoly on a product - and SALUTED Slysoft for wisely "making hay while the sun shines". (That's probably the fourth or fifth time I've used that expression in forums - because it's so right on the money ;>}). In that same posting, I also pointed out the distinct disadvantage(s) to the customers/users, just as I've done here. (Funny thing, back then, that same moderator actually quoted me, while pointing a finger and saying, "I'll never buy anything from Slysoft". I can only guess that subseqently, something drastically changed his/her mind...)

I am a businessman (and have been, very likely since before you were born) and a software user - and in both capacities, Iwas extremely pleased to see MakeMKV and "fengtao's" entity both get into the full disc BluRay backup world.

Peer, if you do in fact, have a business background as well as one in software engineering then you know that "if all other things remain equal", Slysoft's profitability and sales volume regarding AnyDVD HD will start to diminish. Of course the simplest (first) step to take would be a price reduction. Another would be, as I suggested in the first post to this thread, to make AnyDVD (not "HD") freeware, just as several competitors already offer. A final suggestrion would be that Slysoft try to be as creative as I've seen Mike being, and come up with some related capabilities that no one else has thought of. Feel free to accept these suggestions in the positive light I've intended them to be, or disregard them if you should so choose.

Last but not least (well, maybe it IS least), I'd suggest that you remember that these are only forums, so that there's really no reason to "get your panties in a bunch", as you did when you said, "Tell us, tell us, let me hear it!". Nor is there a reason for you to try and coerce me (by saying, "The same BTW as setarip_old was trying to provide a few posts further up, just that he coincidentally forgot to mention AnyDVD as an alternative in his list, which is not at all like him so I was just completing his thoughts...") into including mention of AnyDVD HD when I'm recommending freeware DVD rippers (or anything else, for that matter), especially since Slysoft seems to have a cadre of either official or unofficial representatives nipping at anyone who might not share the same glowing view(s) as they do.

In closing, as far as your opening comment, "you have to ease up a little.", be advised that I am quite at ease and am also the possessor of the thickest skin you'll ever come upon.

Now, I think I'll just take a couple of my grandkids for some playtime at the beach...
NomadCF

Post by NomadCF »

I'm locking this thread, as it really in no way falls in line with the main ideals of what seem to define this forum. Or to put it another way this thread as no redeeming qualities in regards to either helping or enlightening the "Group". This is in no way a reflection upon anyones "ideas" or "thoughts" from the above post(s). And any posters should take no offence to this if possible. As I would have only moved this thread to a "off topic" area, Had we had one.

We are all heres to for the fallowing reasons:

Code: Select all

1. Give feed back about MakeMKV. This will always come in three forms, The Good, The Bad and the requests. But when possible it would be nice if even The Bad could come with some level of contrastive thought. Meaning that just saying "this sucks", while maybe to you is the truth. Does not help MakeMKV grow or become thing better. 

2. Finding help. This includes looking for answers to "why are the resulting files so big", "how can I split up this file up into Chapters", "How can I make these files smaller", etc.

3. Talk about are usage of MakeMKV and most likely other mkv,movie,shows,etc related ideas.
And I think if we can stick to these ideals, this forums will continue to grow and help improve not only MakeMKV. But to also to help to enlighten it followers.