Post by setarip_old »

@lochnar, @vinger

Hi!
Avatar locks in the middle of the rip
Try cleaning the disc...
lochnar

Re: UPDATE: New BD+ as found in avatar

Post by lochnar »

Yeah... thanks, but I don't think I would try ripping a dirty disc. This one is brand new and factory clean (literally). I have ripped hundreds of discs and have not received this particular error.

I can see it load with "Processing BD+ code using disc-specific SVQ from allcombo.svq". I'm trying right now to backup and decrypt the entire DVD. I will see if that works where the standard "select what I want" process fails. Perhaps then I can load the decrypted files back into MakeMKV and remove what I want.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@lochnar

I can only tell you that I and MANY others have had no problem with the R1 version of "Avatar" and MakeMKV v.1.5.5 with the current "allcombo.svq".

If you get an error while trying to do a full disc backup as well, I'd suggest (since you're certain the disc has no dirt or fingerprints, etc.) that either your disc has a manufacturing flaw or your drive is either failing or in need of a cleaning...
vinger

Post by vinger »

Hi,

No my disk is perfect, and I've a real problem with MakeMKV. I used AnyDVDHD under Windows and it works...!
But I prefer to avoid work under Windows...!
So help me to make my licence of MakeMKV to work !

lochnar

Post by lochnar »

Well, it wouldn't be the first defective blu-ray I've gotten. I tried cleaning my drive also, but no dice. I ripped about some others in between Avatar tests and they worked fine. I'll exchange this copy for another and see if it works. I have had very few failures, but this is certainly not the first one. I just figured since it has the new encryption and all...

@vinger: Where did you get your disk? Retail, BB, NF?
vinger

Post by vinger »

Hello,
I've bought my BD in French supermarket, but I can rip it with my Windows program AnyDVD HD...
I prefer work on my MAC...
Help me if you have an idea...
Thanks
lochnar

Post by lochnar »

Which drive are you using on your Mac? My problem was different in that I was not able to rip with AnyDVD or MakeMKV. I did hook a LG blu-ray USB to my Mac, but it also didn't work. I'm thinking it is something in your Mac drive, unless it was the same one you used in Windows.
vinger

Post by vinger »

Hi,

I repeat I do the rip without any problem on my same MAC but with ANYDVD HD in Windows under a VmWare Fusion Virtual Machine.
So I imagine the rip is well under windows and fails under Snowleopard with th MakeMKV 1.5.5 release with the last allcombo.svq file downloaded on the site or with the avatar.svq file downloaded on this forum...!!
Can you propose another explanation to help me ?

Thanks
VG :shock:
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@vinger

Have you tried using MakeMKV v.1.5.6?
vinger

Post by vinger »

Hello,
I've just tried the last version 1.5.7, but there is still the same problem to rip Avatar BD : it blocks when pass on the BD+ protection decrypt.
If anyone has an idea to help me, I won't use windows soft to do this. But I must recognize a fact : ANYDVD HD is a very good soft with reactive release to integrate new protection decrypting...

Thanks
lochnar

Post by lochnar »

@vinger
vinger wrote:with ANYDVD HD in Windows under a VmWare Fusion Virtual Machine.
None of your previous posts mention anything about VMware, so I assumed that you had access to both Windows and Mac systems. Trying to replicate your problem, I did try my replacement copy on both my Windows and Mac boxes. It worked fine under both XP SP3, as well as Snow Leopard. I did not try AnyDVD again, but I don't know why MakeMKV isn't working for you. Did you try MakeMKV under both OS's, or just under Snow Leopard? I'm running 1.5.6 on Win and 1.5.7 on Mac. How far along do you get before it errors out?

@setarip

I took my DVD back and the replacement works fine - must have been a bad pressing. Thanks for verifying it for me.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@vinger
I do the rip without any problem on my same MAC but with ANYDVD HD in Windows under a VmWare Fusion Virtual Machine...I must recognize a fact : ANYDVD HD is a very good soft with reactive release to integrate new protection decrypting...

Considering your (strong, positive) statement regarding AnyDVD, I'd suggest that in fairness and logical experimentation, you should likewise attempt to use MakeMKV (Windows version) under a VMWare Fusion Virtual Machine and see if it too yields the same success as AnyDVD...

And yes, I understand that you don't wish to (normally) operate in a Windows environment - but, if you're going to make a "better or worse than" observation, you should make a comparison using IDENTICAL conditions...

BTW - How did you finally overcome your "Application will not initialize" problem?
Last edited by setarip_old on Wed May 26, 2010 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@lochnar
@setarip
I took my DVD back and the replacement works fine - must have been a bad pressing. Thanks for verifying it for me.lochnar

You're quite welcome ;>}

ematthys

Post by ematthys »

I am also having the problem where it fails halfway through... the disc is in perfect condition. :?