Ripping TV shows

Everything related to MakeMKV
tarunreddy

Ripping TV shows

Post by tarunreddy »

Hi, I would like some help regarding ripping TV shows from DVDs. Is there a tutorial or thread I can be pointed too?

Thanks in advance
mikeinessex

Re: Ripping TV shows

Post by mikeinessex »

hi i would like to know this to. my mate has all the doctor who series which he recorded from tv to dvd on his dvd player. would i be able to use mkv to rip them onto my pc?
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

tarunreddy wrote:Hi, I would like some help regarding ripping TV shows from DVDs. Is there a tutorial or thread I can be pointed too?

Thanks in advance
Are you getting an error when you try and use MakeMKV? It should scan the disc and give you a list of titles to rip. Typically (due to the way episodic DVD's are mastered) each episode will be its own title, then there will be one much bigger title which will be all the episodes combined.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

mikeinessex wrote:hi i would like to know this to. my mate has all the doctor who series which he recorded from tv to dvd on his dvd player. would i be able to use mkv to rip them onto my pc?
You should not be ripping DVD's which you do not legally own.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
mikeinessex

Post by mikeinessex »

its easier to borough them for a day rip em an watch em as i please it will take a long time rather then have em for a long time
mikeinessex

Post by mikeinessex »

plus its not ileagal. they recordings from the tv recorded with a dvd player. thats not wrong
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Deleted...
Last edited by setarip_old on Thu May 13, 2010 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
NomadCF

Post by NomadCF »

Those are your proposed rules not the forums, as such you I'm asking you in a public post to stop spouting off as if you are a admin or moderator. And if the forum was to use those rules, the forum it self would need to stop. As what MakeMKV does is "illegal" in some locations. EVEN on purchased media. Not all countries, location, distributors, artists support any form of "fair use".

But as far as the topic does, Your DVD should be convertible IF they are mastered like a distributed DVD. For example my toshibia dvd recorder does not fallowing all the standards it self. And does have issues with not only makemkv but also some DVD players. But as I only need for recording misc things (gaming,old camcorders,etc) it does me just fine.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Those are your proposed rules not the forums

1) I'd suggest you speak to "mike admin" regarding what he's already stated to me (in emails) about the tentative rules

2) You seem to be selective as to who you "chastize" regarding advising "mikeinessex" about the very same topic in this very same thread ( "crowfax" advised:
You should not be ripping DVD's which you do not legally own.
)

3) My statement clearly points out that such a posting is
common to many forums of similar purpose to this one

4) Your attempt to equate comparing talking about MakeMKV with talking about other-than-purchased DVDs and/or BluRay discs is the proverbial "comparing apples to oranges

5) In deference to your title of moderator and in light of the fact that my previous post rubs you the wrong way, I'm removing it.