MakeMKV Title Selection and the future of ripping

Everything related to MakeMKV
wwusa83

MakeMKV Title Selection and the future of ripping

Post by wwusa83 »

Makemkv community,

Let me open by saying how much I love this program. I bought the registered version 3 years ago an haven't looked back. MakeMKV combined with handbrake and Plex have allowed me to have my media wherever and whenever I want.

I've noticed that some of the more recent blu-ray discs have been obfuscated. Makemkv will give me a list of zillions of titles but won't earmark which one is the proper title. My work around for this is to hit the forums here or use a program called DVDPasskey 8 to tell me the correct track. I'm just a layman when it comes to the software but I'm wondering why a second program is needed? Makemkv has told me on some older discs "Main title" however this is few and far between. What is makemkv lacking that AnyDVD or Passkey have software wise?

As far as the future, The 1st 4K blu-rays are just starting to pop up (The Martian for example). Will everything go back to the drawing board as new methods will need to be developed for new copyright protections? Thank you.
daring

Re: MakeMKV Title Selection and the future of ripping

Post by daring »

I agree. There should be a better way to do this.

I would love to help create an online database/list of the proper title to rip for each Blu-ray to deal with the annoying obfuscation schemes. It seems like it is a constant struggle to rip movies that you already own just so you can watch them in any way that you want. :(
NEO Dan

Post by NEO Dan »

I don't think this is the answer.
If I were responsible for making these discs each master would have a different correct title, but I'm just a stupid user...
Caponewgp

Post by Caponewgp »

I have seen the same thing using rips from Anydvd. This is just another security protection the disks have. Another work around is to using powerdvd to play the movie and use process explorer to identify the correct file.