Seeking hardware recommendation: *internal* Blu-Ray drive?

Everything related to MakeMKV
chrispitude

Seeking hardware recommendation: *internal* Blu-Ray drive?

Post by chrispitude »

Hello all! I'd like to convert some of our Blu-ray movies over to mkv, for playing through our home network and media server. This means I need an internal 5.25" Blu-ray drive. Blu-ray's been around for a number of years now. However, the "Blu-ray error reports" section made me realize this process might not be as smooth as I hoped.

Is there a particular drive model (or manufacturer) that rips more consistently, or that gets more frequent firmware updates?

Thanks in advance!
Woodstock

Re: Seeking hardware recommendation: *internal* Blu-Ray driv

Post by Woodstock »

The drives from LG and Samsung have worked well for me.

With the coming of UHD disks, you will want a drive that says it supports "BDXL", even though there is no software available right now that can rip UHD disks.

There are a LOT of issues with Bluray ripping, which MakeMKV tries to take care of. But yes, there will be times you can't rip a really new disks because it hasn't been "dealt with" yet.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

Woodstock wrote:The drives from LG and Samsung have worked well for me.

With the coming of UHD disks, you will want a drive that says it supports "BDXL", even though there is no software available right now that can rip UHD disks.

There are a LOT of issues with Bluray ripping, which MakeMKV tries to take care of. But yes, there will be times you can't rip a really new disks because it hasn't been "dealt with" yet.
Thanks, that is great information! I do see some attractive LG and Samsung options.

It was difficult to tell if the Blu-ray ripping issues reported were drive-related or temporary (or permanent??) MakeMKV limitations. I didn't want to pick a drive poorly, only to buy myself into lots of problems.
JeffR1

Post by JeffR1 »

To expand Woodstock's answer, not all BDXL drives will read UHD Blu-ray's
So far the only ones that I know that can are the LG BH16NS55 (a European model) and the LG WH16NS40, with a service code of N50.
The problem with the LG WH16NS40 is that if you order one, you may end up with one with a service code of N40 and that won't read the 66Gb dual layer UHD discs.
And to make things even more frustrating, you don't what you're going to get, most venders don't know what they have and are not willing to find what's in their warehouse.

I did find a vender over in the UK that ships world wide if you want the BH16NS55.

http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/LG-BH ... 55852.html

Lots of info here about it over at AVS, I started you at post 65 where dougindy was the first to report a LG drive that could read the 66Gb UHD discs.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-t ... st41583457
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Generally BD problems are temporary. You can get a bit more information from here: /svq/

When they change the AACS version (this is the "access key" and makes the drive play dumb at times), Mike has to issue a new version with a new access key. BD+ can change more often, but that can be done via an automatic download, no version change.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging