3D rip, picture out of frame

Everything related to MakeMKV
Shamoo

3D rip, picture out of frame

Post by Shamoo »

Hello All (please read)
I've been ripping movies for a long time now and recently upgraded my set up, so with that I am trying to be perfect with my rips.
Currently I rip Blu-ray using dvdfab, however through research I found makemkv was lossless which is what I am after, no problems there.
I have about 20 3D movies and again my usual method was clone 1:1 in dvdfab. I only rip from original disc's. Then I came across the joy of forced subtitles and the only way to over come that was to use makemkv which is for me is better as it is lossless and mkv is a better file. However my first attempt ended in failure. I did everything correctly i'm sure of it, but when I checked the playback a few things happened.

I store my movies on a raid tower and play them of a popcorn media A410 which does support mkv 3d playback.
I read a post dated a few years ago that there is not many media players that can play the 3d file outputted by makemkv is this my issue?
When I play the movie it does not automatically switch to 3d on the tv like it does using dvdfab clone option. so I have 3 options, 2d to 3d, sbs, top/bottom, but is it true these options are not 1080p in each eye? I have active glasses. if I choose 2d-3d it plays but the 3d terrible, when selecting either sbs or t/b I can see 2 images, so something is wrong, plus the playback is stuttery?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading, I look forward to hearing your suggestions
CountryBumkin

Re: 3D rip, picture out of frame

Post by CountryBumkin »

I'm still learning this too. Here's what I know:

madVR with LAV (the most popular combination), will play mkv files in 3D. So any of the popular free players like MPC-HC will work. I use JRiver Media Center (which has madVR and LAV built in).

Currently only Side-by-Side (SBS) format works. So all your ripped 3D movies will play on your TV in SBS format.

You need a video card that is hdmi 1.4 or higher to output 3D.
When you rip in mkv you need to be sure to select the "MVC" video codec from the choices.
If you have an NVidia card you need to install the 3Dvision software (part of the driver install). Then in the NVidia control panel you enable 3D.
If you are running your video/movie through an AVR before it gets to the TV, the AVR has to be hdmi1.4 compliant or higher.

BTW - 2D to 3D is not real 3D. It's some crap done by the TV to 2D movies to make them look like 3D. It doesn't work well. Don't ever use that.
Shamoo

Re: 3D rip, picture out of frame

Post by Shamoo »

i'm not using a pc to view the film I'm using a media player, but my research is suggesting the media player, popcorn A410 can not read MVC MKV, only when it is built inside a iso.