Suggest Blu-Ray Drive

Everything related to MakeMKV
andcbii

Suggest Blu-Ray Drive

Post by andcbii »

Can I get some suggestions on what Blu-ray drive to buy. I'm looking for something with BDXL support (something that will be able to read 4k discks) and a drive that doesn't have riplock.

Thanks in advance!
Liquidmetal

Re: Suggest Blu-Ray Drive

Post by Liquidmetal »

I've used the LG WH16NS40 without any trouble so far. It usually starts out around 3x and maxes out around 7.5x when ripping Blu-ray movies. I think it would be locked at much lower speeds if it had riplcok, but don't quote me on that. I personally have not tested any BDXL disks, but LG's website does say it supports BDXL.

Unfortunately, there is no ripping software that supports the AACS 2.0 protection on 4k Blu-rays at the moment. Unless MakeMKV or some other software gets AACS 2.0 support, you're pretty much out of luck with ripping 4k Blu-rays. :cry:

With the exception of AACS 2.0 protected 4k Blu-rays, this drive should do everything you want.
andcbii

Post by andcbii »

That's the drive i have and my PC doesn't even register that I've inserted a disc.
JeffR1

Post by JeffR1 »

andcbii wrote:That's the drive i have and my PC doesn't even register that I've inserted a disc.
If you're talking about UHD Blu-ray's then the drive must have a service code of NS50 (SVC NS50)