No beta-key for June -2016

Everything related to MakeMKV
eaahh

Re: No beta-key for June -2016

Post by eaahh »

Peter01 wrote:
overblod wrote:So is the purchase lifetime? or annual? does it have expiration date?
Good question, would be interesting for me too.
nateson wrote:... $50 it cost right now. ...
And if you go to this site for paying, then for some reason it's (for me, because I'm from europe) 50,- € (not 50,- $, but 50,- $ should be at moment something about 44,- €!) and excluding there are some taxes at about 10,5 € ("MwSt (21%))", so it's alltogether 60,5 €, what would be converted to Dollar something about 68,76 $!
Connect via VPN (to US) to this site... then the price is $50...
robertpetry

Post by robertpetry »

yorgo wrote:
Peter01 wrote:As already written here, I also think that it's not a good time to buy now. Maybe the software is no longer being developed.
Has it already ever occurred that the key was a week overdue?

You can find an other well known software in internet, which is at moment 20% off. Means for example for the bluray copy edition something about 76,- €!
Personally speaking, I think it's the right time to buy. I've been using the betas for a number of years now, and very regularly, so decided it's time to pony up for something that has served me well (thanks, Mike!). And I don't have to wait for the temporary beta keys again.
It might be the right time to buy. I am also tired of dealing with the beta codes and would be willing to support the project. Two things are holding me up though. 1) Has anyone bought through Avangate in the past week? Are they turning around codes quickly or are we waiting on Mike for permanent codes as well? In which case, no urgency to buy right now. 2) I really only use the app every now and then. $50 is kinda steep for my usage. I wish there was an option to support the project at a lower investment level.
sparktank

Post by sparktank »

robertpetry wrote:It might be the right time to buy. I am also tired of dealing with the beta codes and would be willing to support the project. Two things are holding me up though. 1) Has anyone bought through Avangate in the past week? Are they turning around codes quickly or are we waiting on Mike for permanent codes as well? In which case, no urgency to buy right now. 2) I really only use the app every now and then. $50 is kinda steep for my usage. I wish there was an option to support the project at a lower investment level.
I finally paid for it. I had the money for it and it was either going to be this or any one of other software (not necessarily decyption software), but I ultimately decided on this as I like using it for ripping DVD's to MKV a lot. Much simpler than the longer routes of using other tools.

The process was really fast for me. It was all same-day, pretty much all within 5 minutes of making the purchase.

For me, in Canada, it came up to 73.31 CAD after conversion. Which is still excellent for non-subscription software.
I think it kind of worked out for me in the end. The timing was actually the most perfect it can get to buy it.
robertpetry

Post by robertpetry »

sparktank wrote:
robertpetry wrote:It might be the right time to buy. I am also tired of dealing with the beta codes and would be willing to support the project. Two things are holding me up though. 1) Has anyone bought through Avangate in the past week? Are they turning around codes quickly or are we waiting on Mike for permanent codes as well? In which case, no urgency to buy right now. 2) I really only use the app every now and then. $50 is kinda steep for my usage. I wish there was an option to support the project at a lower investment level.
I finally paid for it. I had the money for it and it was either going to be this or any one of other software (not necessarily decyption software), but I ultimately decided on this as I like using it for ripping DVD's to MKV a lot. Much simpler than the longer routes of using other tools.

The process was really fast for me. It was all same-day, pretty much all within 5 minutes of making the purchase.

For me, in Canada, it came up to 73.31 CAD after conversion. Which is still excellent for non-subscription software.
I think it kind of worked out for me in the end. The timing was actually the most perfect it can get to buy it.
Awesome. Did you just recently purchase?
neilball

Post by neilball »

I purchased today too and my registration code was supplied instantly with my online payment confirmation. Within a few minutes I received several emails including a copy of my key and a formal invoice. So a completely painless and rapid process. No more beta keys for me :-)
Peter01

Post by Peter01 »

Yes, but what if the program is no longer being updated? When Mike does not releases a new key, he also doesn't maintains new CSS data. Then, while you have a lifetime license, you can decrypt less and less blu-rays in future.
That's why I think, it's ab bad time to buy now.
I'd rather wait until I get a sign of life from Mike (new beta key for example! ;)) or invest in one of the other two major players, who seem more professional to me.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

CSS is a known thing - it can be brute-forced consistently so updates for that aren't needed.

AACS is a different beast, and yes, it requires updates, especially considering putting a disk with and AACS that your copy of MakeMKV doesn't know about can make your drive unusable for ANY Bluray decoding, even old disks. Everything that decodes BDs needs that.

"What if it doesn't get developed anymore?"

Have to tell you, that is a potential problem with ANY software you buy! AnyDVD got knocked off internet, and said they were shutting down and weren't going to come back. Then they did. Lots of people bought licenses to their software just before that happened.

If you're that paranoid, don't register. Live with the beta keys. But don't bitch if it isn't updated within 20 minutes of expiration.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

If being able to back up your disc based media is important, then the 50 bucks (or whatever it is in your country of origin) is a worthwhile investment. I personally don't rely on MakeMKV for decryption and use it strictly for its mkv making abilities. I bought my license years ago and have no regrets at all. It's worked perfectly for me for a long time. The price you pay for using it for free is that from time to time the beta key may be late or a new version may be delayed. That simply means patience is required until the new key and/or version are posted. Or buy it. It's well worth it. Even if it's never updated again, it's still worth it cause you could combine it with another decryption software and call it good if you really had to.
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

SamuriHL wrote:If being able to back up your disc based media is important, then the 50 bucks (or whatever it is in your country of origin) is a worthwhile investment. I personally don't rely on MakeMKV for decryption and use it strictly for its mkv making abilities. I bought my license years ago and have no regrets at all. It's worked perfectly for me for a long time. The price you pay for using it for free is that from time to time the beta key may be late or a new version may be delayed. That simply means patience is required until the new key and/or version are posted. Or buy it. It's well worth it. Even if it's never updated again, it's still worth it cause you could combine it with another decryption software and call it good if you really had to.
+1 !

I also don't use MakeMKV for decryption but instead rely on RedFox AnyDVD (yes, just bought a new LTL for that as well even with the uncertainty that arose from Slysoft's demise). Great combo, my 2 cents.

I'd be disappointed if Mike stopped developing MakeMKV but I wouldn't be angry even just having plunked down $50. I've used the beta keys for years and paid nothing so this would be my way of saying "thank you" and paying retroactively for something that's served me well.
Lovely Rita

Post by Lovely Rita »

Woodstock wrote: If you're that paranoid, don't register. Live with the beta keys. But don't bitch if it isn't updated within 20 minutes of expiration.
Amen!
Registered User :wink:
Buy MakeMKV
DocSavage

Post by DocSavage »

eaahh wrote:Connect via VPN (to US) to this site... then the price is $50...
Yeah, I also considered that.
But there's another way: Mike if you're reading this - here's my offer: I'll pay 50$ instantly if you would accept fairy dust ;-) That's the most direct way I think - no conversion, no taxes, everyone is happy :D
Peter01

Post by Peter01 »

@Woodstock:
Are you Mike? ;)
Woodstock wrote:CSS is a known thing - it can be brute-forced consistently so updates for that aren't needed.
AACS is a different beast, ...
Yes, sorry, I wrote CSS representatively for all encryption methods.
Woodstock wrote:Have to tell you, that is a potential problem with ANY software you buy!
Really? ;)
Woodstock wrote:AnyDVD got knocked off internet, and said they were shutting down and weren't going to come back. Then they did. Lots of people bought licenses to their software just before that happened.
If you're that paranoid, don't register.
But I think, with slysoft it was an other thing, such a political/juridical thing. Not like here, that the developer is just absent for any unknown reason. That's not a good sign, I hope I'm wrong!
And at slysoft a paranoid person like me could realize weeks or month before, that something would happen. Honestly, at that time I had thought about buying AnyDVD HD, but I did not for that reason. But at moment I would buy this or also DVDFab and maybe I will in the next time ... Both are very willing and present at this time and have a good homepage.
Woodstock wrote:Live with the beta keys. But don't bitch if it isn't updated within 20 minutes of expiration.
It's not 20 minutes, it's for more than 10 days now!
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

Peter01 wrote:@Woodstock:
Woodstock wrote:AnyDVD got knocked off internet, and said they were shutting down and weren't going to come back. Then they did. Lots of people bought licenses to their software just before that happened.
If you're that paranoid, don't register.
But I think, with slysoft it was an other thing, such a political/juridical thing. Not like here, that the developer is just absent for any unknown reason. That's not a good sign, I hope I'm wrong!
And at slysoft a paranoid person like me could realize weeks or month before, that something would happen. Honestly, at that time I had thought about buying AnyDVD HD, but I did not for that reason. But at moment I would buy this or also DVDFab and maybe I will in the next time ... Both are very willing and present at this time and have a good homepage.
Woodstock wrote:Live with the beta keys. But don't bitch if it isn't updated within 20 minutes of expiration.
It's not 20 minutes, it's for more than 10 days now!
Don't kid yourself, any software that smells of cracking encryption is under attack, including DVDFab; if you recall, they were temporarily shut down as well a couple years back. That is the nature of this type of product. And a pretty website won't protect them.

My fear for MakeMKV is not that it takes Mike time to come up with a new key but that his business model for so long has included free keys. I don't know him or pretend to know what's going on in his mind but he is creating a situation where too many expect this to be free and, when there's a delay introducing a new free key, people start to vocally question whether the project is still viable and begin discussing alternatives. But it's his business model and he can proceed any which way he wants, and I respect that.

However, I do challenge all those concerned with the delay that, when the new beta key becomes available and their fears are calmed for the moment, to purchase MakeMKV so we don't go through another round of this the next time the beta key expires. Who's in? :D
aaronwt

Post by aaronwt »

Where is the purchase option located?
63TB unRAID1-49TB unRAID2-76TB unRAID3-56TB unRAID4-50TB unRAID5-50TB unRAID6-56TB unRAID7
Peter01

Post by Peter01 »

yorgo wrote:... any software that smells of cracking encryption is under attack, including DVDFab; if you recall, they were temporarily shut down as well a couple years back. That is the nature of this type of product.
Of course, I agree with you! In the last years both softwares had their problems and then moved to domains like .cn and .bz! ;) The reasons were well known, why these things happend. As opposed to the situation here!
yorgo wrote:And a pretty website won't protect them.
I didn't wrote that! (Although I think that they are now somewhat better protected due to their locations. This entire prosecution authorities is Mike possibly before! The others have already behind, for now!)
But they make a professional impression. With a well kept homepage they say, "Welcome! We are present, we inform and clear up, we are there for you ..." That seems trustworthy. As well as a clear product strategy.
Besides: To the DVDFab support I had a few questions and wrote them. Just about two hours later I received an extensive answer. The website can even be shown in german (better translated than google), so it's easier to understand for me and also my questions I could write to the support in german and I got an answer in good german.
That says to me, there is somenone behind. There are people who keep the wheel runing. And that is the opposite of what Mike currently raised.
yorgo wrote:... too many expect this to be free and, when there's a delay introducing a new free key, people start to vocally question whether the project is still viable and begin discussing alternatives. But it's his business model and he can proceed any which way he wants, and I respect that.
And that's what I don't like. He suggests it's free ("All features (including Blu-ray decryption and processing) are free during BETA."), one works to it and get used to it, and then Mike "forgets" increasingly (so it seems to me) to update the key for many days, so that the programm is not really functionally anymore. No, Mike says certainly not, that it need to be bought for a further and permanent usage. That's doing some people here in the forum for him! ;) You can buy, but you don't need to. Maybe it works, maybe not, the chances are higher, if you pay, but - it's beta! (Yes, I know, now one comes right back and says, I've been using it for years and it always has great worked ... But the point is, it is not entitled.)
That's not really transparent. Not to say, this seems nonserious to me.
Either it's tactics, or negligence, or Mike increasingly loses interest in the project. Whatever it is, it does not speak for the project.