No beta-key for June -2016

Everything related to MakeMKV
SamuriHL

Re: No beta-key for June -2016

Post by SamuriHL »

Or he's just busy and people need to learn patience. You did bring up the correct word, however. Entitled. Certainly fits this thread.
StuPadaso

Post by StuPadaso »

I'd happily pay the registration fee. Matter of fact when the beta key expired the first thing I thought was "maybe it's time to buy it...."

Then I went to the purchase page and was shocked at the cost.

$72 CDN is what the purchase page calculates for me. That works out to ~$56 US at the exchange rate today.

So I'm going to say what I'm sure a lot of others are thinking - the price for this software is very high. I realize there isn't much else out there to directly compare MakeMKV to, so they can pretty much set their own price. Still... $56 US? Sorry. Thanks but no thanks. That's an unreasonable price, especially when I consider the last few versions won't even run for me. (Luckily the older versions continue to work.)

$20 US and I'm a buyer. Right Now. Not later, right now. That's a fair price and gives me value for my money. MakeMKV is, without a doubt, losing sales because of the high price point. They could probably sell 10x the licences if it was priced in the $20 range. Heck, even at 5x the number of sales and they'll still be ahead.

So for now I'll just do what I do every time I wait for a new beta key; I backdate my PC, start up MakeMKV, change the system date back to the proper date, and let MakeMKV ride in my taskbar.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

aaronwt wrote:Where is the purchase option located?
In the Help menu, there is an item "Purchase", which takes you to /buy/ . We often ask Mike why there is no link on the web page (except in forum messages like this) to the purchase page...

And no, I'm not Mike. I don't even play him on a TV show.... :)

Based on the emails I've exchanged with him, I am certain we're not on the same continent, which is the real reason you don't see any pictures with us together.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
darth

Post by darth »

I've gone to buy it a few times but always stop for a couple of reasons:

- the conversion to my local currency has a 30% mark up, this is just exploitive (not necessarily by Mike)
- when order it asks you to state your OS and this concerns me as I use OSX, Win 10 32bit and may upgrade to 64bit, so is the license per OS or per user?

There is so little info that I'm not prepared to spend £50 for a $50 bit of software that I may have to buy again when I change PCs.

£25 and a per user licence and I'm sure he'd make a fortune.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

License keys are good for all versions.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
pjr918bmw

Post by pjr918bmw »

You know what? I reckon MKV may have simply capitulated to the latest round of "piracy" protection..

I've just looked at what I've done with MKV whilst NOT buying the software. Felt rather guilty and just bought it. It may never work again but fairs fair.
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

darth wrote:
£25 and a per user licence and I'm sure he'd make a fortune.
I've no hard statistics but I don't think anyone making niche software like this, charging $50 for a one-time license with free updates, in an era of streaming content (ie, no physical media required) is making a fortune. Frankly, I think the less charged, the less will be made; throw in the continuation of a free beta key...

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but I really like MakeMKV and want to see it continue for years to come; and if Mike believes $50 is the magic number to keep this project afloat, that's the number.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

The price issue comes up every couple months. People whine and moan about the price being too high. If only it were lower, then they'd buy, they claim. That's nice and all, but, no one complaining about the price wrote the software and maintains it. Mike did. Since he wrote it, he can, and has, charge whatever he wants for it. No amount of moaning about the price being too high has ever changed the price. And believe me, there have been dozens of threads started on that topic. No one is forcing you to use the software. You have to make the decision of whether the value provided by the software matches the one time price for it. I look at it this way....it costs the price of 2 typical blu-ray movies in my area. If the backups I make with it save me from losing 2 discs, it's paid for itself IMO. I own over 600 movies on blu-ray. To me, the price was absolutely worth it and I've enjoyed unhindered use of the product for years now. Others may feel it's not worth the price. That's a decision you have to come to. But one thing is certain...the price hasn't ever changed just because someone comes onto the forum and complains that it's too high and that they'd buy it if it were cheaper.
jjslegacy

Post by jjslegacy »

This thread has become quit amusing.

50 or 75 or whatever is a steal for such a piece of software with a lifetime license. Mike has been great about updates and keeping the software current and hopefully us who actually pay help keep that alive. I am kind of enjoying this long day on the freebie key.
ThankYouRob

Post by ThankYouRob »

jjslegacy wrote:This thread has become quit amusing.

50 or 75 or whatever is a steal for such a piece of software with a lifetime license. Mike has been great about updates and keeping the software current and hopefully us who actually pay help keep that alive. I am kind of enjoying this long day on the freebie key.
I agree, however, my issue is that Mike has not chimed in to say whether or not there will be updates or anything. The lack of his input on this thread has been delaying my purchase of license.
darth

Post by darth »

SamuriHL wrote:The price issue comes up every couple months. People whine and moan about the price being too high. If only it were lower, then they'd buy, they claim. That's nice and all, but, no one complaining about the price wrote the software and maintains it. Mike did. Since he wrote it, he can, and has, charge whatever he wants for it. No amount of moaning about the price being too high has ever changed the price. And believe me, there have been dozens of threads started on that topic. No one is forcing you to use the software. You have to make the decision of whether the value provided by the software matches the one time price for it. I look at it this way....it costs the price of 2 typical blu-ray movies in my area. If the backups I make with it save me from losing 2 discs, it's paid for itself IMO. I own over 600 movies on blu-ray. To me, the price was absolutely worth it and I've enjoyed unhindered use of the product for years now. Others may feel it's not worth the price. That's a decision you have to come to. But one thing is certain...the price hasn't ever changed just because someone comes onto the forum and complains that it's too high and that they'd buy it if it were cheaper.
Absolutely Mike can charge what ever he wants. Equally everyone is free to pass their opinion on the business model.

If Mike took it out of beta and made it a paid app then I'm sure people would pay up. But while it is in beta, who is going to buy it (and I'm talking generally). A lower price while is a free beta may actually attract more buyers.

My choice is pay up now or continue to get it for free and happily wait for the beta key to be updated (or backdate the clock on my pc). It's so easy to get it to continue to work and with the price point being quite high, means that a lot of people choose the former option.
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

darth wrote: Absolutely Mike can charge what ever he wants. Equally everyone is free to pass their opinion on the business model.

If Mike took it out of beta and made it a paid app then I'm sure people would pay up. But while it is in beta, who is going to buy it (and I'm talking generally). A lower price while is a free beta may actually attract more buyers.

My choice is pay up now or continue to get it for free and happily wait for the beta key to be updated (or backdate the clock on my pc). It's so easy to get it to continue to work and with the price point being quite high, means that a lot of people choose the former option.
It may attract more buyers but will it bring in more funds? I doubt it; as an example, if one halves the cost ($50 reduced to $25) one then needs to double the number of clients, a growth model that historically does not work in my experience. And if, as is typically the case, a developer decides that a project isn't "financially worth it", it ends and dies. I would hate to see that happen to MakeMKV.
Devore

Post by Devore »

New version of MakeMKV comes out every couple of months. They come out when new code is ready. This is separate from the beta license. I don't see any indication MakeMKV is shutting down or going on hiatus. The free key being late happens too.

The extra charge for non-USD purchases is put there by the payment processor, which selects the currency based on geolocation. If the difference is substantial and you don't want to pay it, use a US-based proxy or VPN, and pay in USD.
MarcLister

Post by MarcLister »

A new beta key is out which expires at the end of July 2016.

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

But, but, what about the conspiracy theories that this project was dead? What about the fact that it was abandoned?? LMAO. Ok, people, you ready to go buy it now? LOL