Why is MakeMKV in beta?

Everything related to MakeMKV
jsCP94

Why is MakeMKV in beta?

Post by jsCP94 »

I always wondered this. It seems that this program is complete, and just needs monthly updates for copy protection decryption of new DVDs/Blu-rays. What still needs to be tested? Is it that it's too risky to "properly" release such a legal gray-area program?

If Mike were to release this today, I would buy this in a heartbeat.
Woodstock

Re: Why is MakeMKV in beta?

Post by Woodstock »

It's always in Beta because it is frequently changing. There are a couple of features under development now, according to what Mike has posted. And it isn't always perfect; just a few versions ago, there was a fix that broke something else.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
jsCP94

Post by jsCP94 »

Woodstock wrote:There are a couple of features under development now, according to what Mike has posted.
What features are under development?
taylorwmj

Post by taylorwmj »

jsCP94 wrote:What features are under development?
Mike has stated he is working on a solution for playlist obfuscation. That'll be a big one so we don't have a whole bunch of lazy fools asking "which playlist" instead of using PowerDVD with procmon to figure it out themselves.

I presume he's determining a way to read the Java of the disc menus to find what .mpls is called from the click action of the play movie button. Could be way off here too in how he's doing it.
jsCP94

Post by jsCP94 »

taylorwmj wrote:Mike has stated he is working on a solution for playlist obfuscation.
What is playlist obfuscation? Even after a google search, I'm still a little confused on what it is.
Lovely Rita

Post by Lovely Rita »

Registered User :wink:
Buy MakeMKV
taylorwmj

Post by taylorwmj »

Great post Rita.

As a quick overview:

It's a form of "copy protection" that essentially just makes it really difficult to know what title is the correct title in applications like MakeMKV.

It will show the disc as having 100s if not 1000s of titles. While these are just "pointer" files of sort pointing to various smaller video files, all but 1 or 2 are incorrect. If you choose the wrong title in MakeMKV, you'd get a movie with scenes potentially all out of order. You could also get an image smack dab in the middle of the movie for about a minutes stating "This is a copy" or something to that extent.

The link Rita shared will give a more thorough explanation and how to get around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrVideo

Post by MrVideo »

taylorwmj wrote:That'll be a big one so we don't have a whole bunch of lazy fools asking "which playlist" instead of using PowerDVD with procmon to figure it out themselves.
Not everyone has, or wants, PowerDVD on their systems.
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

MrVideo wrote:
taylorwmj wrote:That'll be a big one so we don't have a whole bunch of lazy fools asking "which playlist" instead of using PowerDVD with procmon to figure it out themselves.
In that case, if one can't wait for Mike's solution, RedFox AnyDVD works wonders.
whatever_gong82

Post by whatever_gong82 »

yorgo wrote:
MrVideo wrote:
In that case, if one can't wait for Mike's solution, RedFox AnyDVD works wonders.
+1.
I have both MakeMKV and AnyDVD HD, and I love both programs.
Devore

Post by Devore »

Playlist deobfuscation is the only major feature I can think of that is missing. Everything else is either media protocol and key updates, or something that changes the purpose of MakeMKV.

Since no one has an automated general purpose playlist solution yet, I have to assume it is rather complicated to reverse engineer. Probably the player runs compiled Java code when menus are launched, and that can literally do anything and base its playlist decision on any number of factors. PowerDVD/procmon may be with us for a long time.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Screen pass evolves a lot. It's similar to BD+ in that regard....once you have it "figured out" they change it and you have to update the code that handles it. AnyDVD has dealt with this for quite some time and it has to be updated every time they update the protection. I suspect MakeMKV will have to go through a similar process depending on how the solution is implemented.
obsidian9

Post by obsidian9 »

MrVideo wrote:
Yes, us Mac users don't really have any other option other than to come here asking about playlists. I guess we could technically install a copy of Windows on our macs so we can run PowerDVD when the need arrises. But that's rather laborious and costly. Hence using the native MakeMKV. Plus, I'd rather give my money here than anywhere else.
taylorwmj

Post by taylorwmj »

obsidian9 wrote:Not everyone has, or wants, PowerDVD on their systems.
Yes, us Mac users don't really have any other option other than to come here asking about playlists. I guess we could technically install a copy of Windows on our macs so we can run PowerDVD when the need arrises. But that's rather laborious and costly. Hence using the native MakeMKV. Plus, I'd rather give my money here than anywhere else.
That's what I did. Dual booting is so easy. Windows is generally cheap. Got PowerDVD on sale. Use VirtualHere on the Ubuntu Server the BD Drive is connected to (and has MakeMKV) to share BD Drive across network. Mount the BD Drive on my MBP running Win7 with VirtualHere client and open PowerDVD with Procmon. Now I can just accurately know myself which playlist. No ambiguity or reliance on others.
mtnardi

Post by mtnardi »

taylorwmj wrote: That's what I did. Dual booting is so easy. Windows is generally cheap. Got PowerDVD on sale. Use VirtualHere on the Ubuntu Server the BD Drive is connected to (and has MakeMKV) to share BD Drive across network. Mount the BD Drive on my MBP running Win7 with VirtualHere client and open PowerDVD with Procmon. Now I can just accurately know myself which playlist. No ambiguity or reliance on others.
Easy you say? I'd like to hear what you think is hard :)