Workflow improvements?

Everything related to MakeMKV
BeeVee

Workflow improvements?

Post by BeeVee »

Hi,

I've been using a full copy of MakeMKV for a good couple of years now and now I'm ripping all five seasons of Game of Thrones available to put on my Plex server. In doing so, I realise that it could be faster...

1. Allow multiple selections with Shift and Ctrl - There are several add-ons I don't want to rip (the bonus features). Right now, I have to click one-by-one on each item I don't want to rip in order to deselect them. There are two ways this could be faster. The first would be to have a checkbox to deselect everything and only select the tracks I want to rip (far fewer than the total number of tracks available); the second would be to allow me to select multiple tracks with the established modifier keys of click first - hold shift - click last and everything between is selected, or click, then ctrl click to select additional (or deselect in both cases).

2. Set up defaults - I want to rip English and French, and their subtitles (but not forced). Right now I need to go through all the files and keep those two languages checked, uncheck forced, uncheck all other languages. Without item 1, this is laborious.

3. Add Regex or similar - These items are always the same, although the track numbers aren't. Setting up regex filtering would help with this - "Select tracks that are bigger than 10 GB, with English and French soundtracks and subtitles, but not forced, and rip them to here"

4. Communicate - It would be great if MakeMKV could optionally refer to the TVDB or similar to name the output files automatically, rather than just 00.mkv

Please don't think I don't appreciate the sterling work you've done with MakeMKV, I am very happy with the rips it does. :)

B
darth

Re: Workflow improvements?

Post by darth »

Have you checked the preferences in makemkv?

You can set that language to select so it doesn't select others. You can also set the minimum length of a track so as to not show all the extras.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The preferences in MakeMKV only allow for one favorite language; if you set it, it will (by default) only rip tracks tagged as being that language. I believe you can construct a selection rule based upon the language codes, but I have not tried doing so... My workflow always involves using handbrake to process the video, so it is simpler to tell MakeMKV to rip everything, and clean things up in HB.

handbrake has more advanced selection rules available, in that you can construct a list of languages to include, rather than just one. And there is the bonus that the files are significantly smaller.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
BeeVee

Post by BeeVee »

Thanks, the minimum length resolves some things :) I also saw that I can right-click on the checks to deselect all as well, which is great. The language would be great, if I could select two. I want both English and French.

B
BeeVee

Post by BeeVee »

Thanks Woodstock. I use HB too so I'll check into that.

B
Devore

Post by Devore »

Re #1, if you right click on a higher level item in the titles view, there is an option to unselect everything. (just going from memory here, don't have MakeMKV and a disc in front of me atm)
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

Devore wrote:Re #1, if you right click on a higher level item in the titles view, there is an option to unselect everything. (just going from memory here, don't have MakeMKV and a disc in front of me atm)
Devore, dude, you are the man! Just tested it; right clicking on the level above DOES select or deselect! I've been meaning to ask, so a big thanks!!! :D
hemlig

Post by hemlig »

Hi!

Just registred.

But this topic sounds very much as what has been bothering me for the years i've used this else excellent program.

If i set "Preferences: Prefered Language" as Swedish, and i rip a normal DVD/BlueRay/ISO, it always removes the English Audiotrack, but keeps Swedish as the Subtitle-Language.

But what good is eg a James Bond movie with no sound at all ...

So please make it possible to keep the Audiotrack, at least if there are only one Audiotrack, even if the Audio isn't in the Prefered Language.