Everything related to MakeMKV
bulabone

Re: Errors on HDDVD Rips

Post by bulabone »

count me in for another vote... 40+ HDDVD's
Krobar

Post by Krobar »

Any further info or plan for HDDVD support? (Wondering if MakeMKV developer opinions or schedules have changed)
Icanseestars

Post by Icanseestars »

You can manually transfer a raw HD-DVD to MKV if you follow this guide, it's pretty straight forward. You get the same output as a file run through MakeMKV it just takes more work.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@Icanseestars

Hi!

Just thought I'd add that the procedure(s) you've provided a link to require the purchase of AnyDVDHD...
jdc0730

Post by jdc0730 »

Another vote for improved HD-DVD support.
midphase

Post by midphase »

I would like to add another vote for the HD DVD functionality in MakeMKV to be supported. I have about 30 HD DVD, and I know other friends with similar collections which are now outdated.

The fact that the format is dead makes an archival utility even more crucial and valuable for us. I'd gladly pay for MakeMKV if it could convert HD DVD's...for Blu Rays it's actually not a big deal for me since if I want to watch a Blu-Ray disk I'll just play it in the player!

Also, someone mentioned the Warner Bros offer to trade HD DVD's for Blu Ray's of the same film at a discounted rate. That program is BS. I actually priced brand new Blu-Ray versions of movies that I own on HD DVD from Amazon for less than the WB cost (including S&H) and I can get them at home within days and not weeks like with WB.

Mike, please give us an update if this is something that you're working on...or if we're SOL and are better off looking elsewhere?

Many thanks!
midphase

Post by midphase »

Bump?
Krobar

Post by Krobar »

Any news on this?
dtblair

Post by dtblair »

For those ripping HDDVD, what hardware are you using? I have a friend that has the LG Blue Ray / HD DVD GGW-H20L but he runs on XP and I've read that since this is a discontinued model it is not supported on Windows 7. With most HDDVD's selling for less than a buck, it would be a great way to get HD for almost nothing, and some titles (i.e Ray) aren't on BD.
Krobar

Post by Krobar »

dtblair wrote:For those ripping HDDVD, what hardware are you using? I have a friend that has the LG Blue Ray / HD DVD GGW-H20L but he runs on XP and I've read that since this is a discontinued model it is not supported on Windows 7. With most HDDVD's selling for less than a buck, it would be a great way to get HD for almost nothing, and some titles (i.e Ray) aren't on BD.
I have the non writer GGC version of that LG drive in Win7-64bit. It works perfectly with Windows 7 on my Intel chipset based board with the Microsoft driver in IDE mode or Intel driver in AHCI mode, the Microsoft driver in AHCi mode doesnt work well at all. With either of the two working combinations DVD, HDDVD, Bluray and CDs all work well for reading, CD and DVD writing works fine too.
dtblair

Post by dtblair »

Krobar wrote:I have the non writer GGC version of that LG drive in Win7-64bit. It works perfectly with Windows 7 on my Intel chipset based board with the Microsoft driver in IDE mode or Intel driver in AHCI mode, the Microsoft driver in AHCi mode doesnt work well at all. With either of the two working combinations DVD, HDDVD, Bluray and CDs all work well for reading, CD and DVD writing works fine too.
How much success have you had ripping HDDVD's with MakeMKV?
Krobar

Post by Krobar »

dtblair wrote:
Krobar wrote:I have the non writer GGC version of that LG drive in Win7-64bit. It works perfectly with Windows 7 on my Intel chipset based board with the Microsoft driver in IDE mode or Intel driver in AHCI mode, the Microsoft driver in AHCi mode doesnt work well at all. With either of the two working combinations DVD, HDDVD, Bluray and CDs all work well for reading, CD and DVD writing works fine too.
How much success have you had ripping HDDVD's with MakeMKV?
Nope. Only one out of the 8 I have tried worked. This is not a problem with the drive, the problem is that MakeMKVs support is very much preliminary and most discs are not supported.
tdtran1025

Post by tdtran1025 »

Adding HDDVD makes sense now that BBC has made a stupid decision to encode their latest offering-Life series, using a variant of WVC1. No player that I know of, past or current supports this format, not even Windows Media. To even play this series on computer with either Cyberlink PowerDVD or Corel's WinDVD, one has to go a series of update. The worst part of it, the format is inferior to H.264!
I am afraid this might be the one thing I hate most but comes through.
Like Joker says in "Batman Return": "VC1, why can't you just die.".
trondmm

Post by trondmm »

tdtran1025 wrote:Adding HDDVD makes sense now that BBC has made a stupid decision to encode their latest offering-Life series, using a variant of WVC1.
???

I don't get the connection. What does Life or WVC1 have to do with HD DVD support?
cozzmo

Post by cozzmo »

+1 if HD-DVD Support was updated/implemented fully i'd definintely purchase the full program key.