Slight confusion between different software types and uses

Everything related to MakeMKV
BeepBeep

Slight confusion between different software types and uses

Post by BeepBeep »

Hello everyone

I've been using MakeMKV for a little while now in conjunction with other software (AnyDVD) to convert my discs to usable video files, but I think I've been doing more than I needed to.
I had a lifetime subscription to AnyDVD but when it all folded it means I would have to pay again, which I've held out on so far. I was then nicely surprised to find that I could rip from discs using MakeMKV without having to have AnyDVD active at all, I honestly didn't realise I could do that, I'm wondering if I can bypass that software completely!

If I explain my process, can someone just tell me what I should / shouldn't be doing please, this seems like a pretty knowledgeable place!

I used to rip the whole disc to the drive using AnyDVD to bypass any of the encryption rubbish on the disc.
Once it was on the HDD as a 40GB rip, I'd use MakeMKV to get just:
The film
The 5.1 english audio
The english subs

And export all that to a full quality MKV file with just the data I needed without everything else. This would rip to typically around 20-25GB.

I've then used Handbrake a few times to try and reduce the size of that file while keeping the quality. I haven't managed it to get that to what I want yet, there is often pixellation in the dark areas where it compresses and I haven't figured out the subs yet, they don't display properly (when wanting forced subs etc).

However, as I stated before, I've only just found that MakeMKV can rip directly from the disc, totally bypassing the other software! What I want to know is:

Does that mean I can bypass Any and save myself the cost of a sub (and put it towards MakeMKV instead!)
If so, is MakeMKV going to keep being updated to deal with the latest disc protections that come out?

I have read in the about section:
Please note that commercial blu-ray discs are protected by technological measures preventing unauthorised duplication (including, but not limited to, "Cinavia" technology). MakeMKV doesn't remove such measures, so MKV file produced from a commercial blu-ray disc will not play on a blu-ray player, even when converted back to M2TS format.
Does that mean the MKV file still embeds certain copy protections when played in a blu-ray player? I play all my files either from the computer or through a USB drive into a smart TV. I haven't come across any problems so far, but that could be because of the Any software I used first...I'm not sure.

As you can see, I'm a bit confused with it! Any suggestions or replies anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
Woodstock

Re: Slight confusion between different software types and us

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV doesn't require AnyDVD to access DVD or BD. So that's one thing you can remove from your work flow. MakeMKV will remove both the AACS encryption and the BD+ obfuscation of the video.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
garretn

Post by garretn »

For the most part you can. The only thing *AnyDVD can help with is Sony DADC Screen Pass protection, in which it can tell you which title to pick when using MakeMKV (my understanding is most of the time, but its not perfect). A lot of people instead simply google the name of their movie + "which title" (and funnily enough often end up on the makemkv forum) with a thread that'll tell them which title to use or the correct length of the title so you know which one to pick.

*: Only the newest versions have this. Your old SlySoft version does not do this. I haven't actually used this myself either, as I'm reluctant to pay the high price when I only want the Screen Pass assistance.
MrVideo

Post by MrVideo »

BeepBeep wrote:
Please note that commercial blu-ray discs are protected by technological measures preventing unauthorised duplication (including, but not limited to, "Cinavia" technology). MakeMKV doesn't remove such measures, so MKV file produced from a commercial blu-ray disc will not play on a blu-ray player, even when converted back to M2TS format.
Does that mean the MKV file still embeds certain copy protections when played in a blu-ray player? I play all my files either from the computer or through a USB drive into a smart TV. I haven't come across any problems so far, but that could be because of the Any software I used first...I'm not sure.
First off, what you quoted is incorrect. Cinavia infested discs (Sony, Universal/Lionsgate) will play on Blu-ray players manufactured before Feb 2012. Admin Mike should correct that error.

Programs like PowerDVD will also have trouble with Cinavia infested files. I believe it is versions after 12 that have the problem.

Smart TVs will not have an issue. Devices, other than Blu-ray players, used in HTPC configurations will also not have a problem. There are lots of ways to play Cinavia infest material and not even know that Cinavia exists.

BTW, Cinavia is a protection embedded in the audio, so yes, any program that copies a Blu-ray disc with Cinavia, will have Cinavia.