Digital Millennium Copyright Act

Everything related to MakeMKV
HTPC_Guy

Digital Millennium Copyright Act

Post by HTPC_Guy »

I have not heard of any prosecutions under the DMCA in the U.S.A. regarding MakeMKV.
I was thinking that most users of MakeMKV use it to merely backup their legitimately
purchased BD movies.
It is a certainty that the "authorities" know all about MakeMKV.
So why no prosecutions?
I'm thinking that such a case is not wanted to go to Court by the DMCA authors because
it is very possible that using MakeMKV for personal backup use as described above will
be legitimized by the Court.
The DMCA authors may be concerned that this use for this purpose is probably supported by
prior Court decisions for VHS and other technologies.
So they are satisfied just letting MakeMKV alone, like I said, because they know that most
MakeMKV users merely use it to backup their legitimately purchased BD movies.
Why risk having the DMCA partially repealed and get all that publicity that might just turn MakeMKV into a household word?

(I didn't have time to proofread this post.)
MrVideo

Re: Digital Millennium Copyright Act

Post by MrVideo »

HTPC_Guy wrote:I'm thinking that such a case is not wanted to go to Court by the DMCA authors because
it is very possible that using MakeMKV for personal backup use as described above will
be legitimized by the Court.
Keep in mind that the authors of the legislation is the U.S. Congress. You can bet they aren't even looking at this. Of course, Hollygreed are the ones that wanted the act passed.

Anything is possible at any time.